Colour schemes - am I wrong?

Which colour scheme would you prefer?

• Walls - Hog bristle full, Skirting/Door & window frames - Antique White USA

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Walls - Antique White USA, Skirting/Door & window frames - Some darker shade of white

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
Snap poll as I'm having an argument with my wife about colour schemes for my PPOR :D

The house is contemporary looking and the floors are beech coloured. Which would you go with?

My house is hog bristle full and white trim with kind of brownish carpet. It looks really, really nice.
Kitchen has much lower ceilings so is hog bristle quarter, white trim and Ikea oak laminate floors.

Hog bristle full is quite dark, if you don't have high ceilings and good light I'd be going half strength - I like the hog bristle colour group so much I'm going to go half strength with white or slightly off white skirtings in the new house, and probably oak look laminate floors again but not cheapie Ikea ones.

Edit: Should mention that the walls in our kitchen and the rest of the house actually look the same colour despite being several shades different. Light and height makes a massive difference. Our kitchen ceiling slopes from 2.5 to 2.1m, the rest of the house ranges from 3 to 3.6m.

Snap poll as I'm having an argument with my wife about colour schemes for my PPOR :D

The house is contemporary looking and the floors are beech coloured. Which would you go with?

Have used Hog Bristile in a garage....before

Get a sample pot and check it together?

Cheers
Sheryn

I have probably painted 10 houses in the last month with hog Bristle,except with 1.5 strength gloss trims.

Most builders use double strength trim on their houses ,however I think it is to much.

If you decide to go white trim,the contrast is nice however it presents more work as the trims cannot be undercoated at the same time as walls.
This shouldn't matter as long as you're not doing it.
The white trim on skirting will also look nice against your beech floor coverings.

I personally like lighter trims and darker walls with lighter feature walls (Instead of the dark)

Hint:A good way to pick your trim color is to do the same color as your aluminum windows.

This is a picture of one my own IP's and you can see on the feature wall similar to hogs bristle and white skirting trim with beech floor coverings.

Attachments

• kitche n (4).jpg
    kitche n (4).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,222
Last edited:
A peaceful life

Haven't you learnt yet that it doesn't matter what anybody else says or thinks .....

your wife is always right:rolleyes:

My living room is Hog Bristle 1/2 strength with ceilings Dulux Vivid White. Works for me and looks good :)
Happy painting!

I have probably painted 10 houses in the last month with hog Bristle,except with 1.5 strength gloss trims.

Most builders use double strength trim on their houses ,however I think it is to much.

If you decide to go white trim,the contrast is nice however it presents more work as the trims cannot be undercoated at the same time as walls.
This shouldn't matter as long as you're not doing it.
The white trim on skirting will also look nice against your beech floor coverings.

I personally like lighter trims and darker walls with lighter feature walls (Instead of the dark)

Hint:A good way to pick your trim color is to do the same color as your aluminum windows.

This is a picture of one my own IP's and you can see on the feature wall similar to hogs bristle and white skirting trim with beech floor coverings.

What percentage of houses would you paint with white skirting/trims and a darker shade of white (1/4 to full strength) on the walls vs white walls and a darker shade of white on the skirting/trims?

What percentage of houses would you paint with white skirting/trims and a darker shade of white (1/4 to full strength) on the walls vs white walls and a darker shade of white on the skirting/trims?

White is a wonderful color and I have done lots of them also.
Mainly architects and designers want Dulux extreme white as it makes the house look bigger.(Ceilings 1/4 strength)

If your ceilings and walls are the same color,they will look different as opposed to full strength on walls and 1/4 strength on ceilings (Will look the same)The trim color is what makes it.And also what curtains and furnishings that are in the house.

Remember darker colors make your house look smaller,so unless you have a larger house like in my IP photo I would go for the lighter colors.

What percentage of houses would you paint with white skirting/trims and a darker shade of white (1/4 to full strength) on the walls 10%

white walls and a darker shade of white on the skirting/trims? 90%

If you are anything like me I always do the opposite to what other people do :D

Remember there is no correct color,you can give me any base color to paint a house and as long as you give me freedom to do as I please I will make it look good no matter what,just by changing strengths along hallways,wall color on ceilings,reversed,etc.

What percentage of houses would you paint with white skirting/trims and a darker shade of white (1/4 to full strength) on the walls 10%

Learn something new every day! I thought it was "standard" to paint trims slightly paler than the walls... LOL

I find this question almost impossible to answer without seeing the house. To me, the paint is one (albeit important) aspect of the whole look. Not knowing what your "look" is it's hard to say.

I am over everyone painting houses to look like white boxes EXCEPT when it suits that style of house. Painting everything white looks best when the house has very good architectural features & spaces. It highlights the shape of the space and light and allows great furniture & artwork to stand out in the space. This is always my preferred look for mid 20th century modernist buildings with lots of glass. These houses were usually designed so that the spaces flowed out to the landscape. Trims the same colour white or a slightly darker version but gloss.

For a normal suburban house full of square rooms and without great views I would go with 1/2 hog on the walls and a slightly darker version of it on the trims, as I think this looks more modern & sophisticated these days. I painted a couple of IPs a similar colour to HB 5-6 years ago and went with the antique white trim. Floors were similar to yours and it did look fresh. People loved it. Either will work as long as you both like it, but if it were me I would imagine the house finished with the furniture etc that you will have in it to see what suits best. A house we did was near the beach & the white trim really suited it. The other one was a more sophisticated type of house & if I did it now I wouldn't have done the white trim.

Learn something new every day! I thought it was "standard" to paint trims slightly paler than the walls... LOL
Me too! The vast, vast majority of houses I see are white trim and slightly darker walls ... easily 90/10 not 10/90.

My old house had beige walls and mission brown trim. I repainted the brown in deep burgundy (white would have looked better but in a dusty area going over such a dark colour? I went the easy option). So there's a house with darker trim than walls for the figures.

I've seen a couple of houses use gloss black trim to good effect, usually with dark red walls. I love the look but you could really only pull it off in a really big older house.

Maybe your wife is also taking into account the furniture you own and which colours will look better with that? Unless, of course, you are buying all new furniture too?;)
I know when I am looking at paint colours I always take into account what else I am planning for that room. IP's it is off-white everywhere but PPOR I like to go nuts. I did a pokemon room in one house for my son (red, white with black trim looked awesome!)

ms jade is right ... impossible to made a decision without seeing the house.

currently in an old 1920's red brick with 12ft ceilings ... painted ceiling and down to the picture rail in white. all trim is white (massively wide skirtings and door/window surrounds). the rest is royal beige - similar to 1/2 hog's bristle but cooler tone. looks fantastic for the style of house. all white would have look awful, bland and overpowering.

other house is 15 years old, massive windows overlooking gorgeous views of ocean and mountains (moving back to this one later in the year). everything is 1/2 whisper white so as not to detract the eye from the view thru the huge picture windows. the royal beige would have looked hideous here.

surprisingly enough, the furniture goes well with both schemes.

get some sample pots - paint a big section of wall right up to the ceiling, and do the trim, in the colours you choose (preferably different walls) and live with them for a while. depends on the light, time of day, style of house etc

That's an interesting stat. It seems totally different to what we see in Adelaide (in old places). I take it that we like a 'warmer' room in Adelaide because of the climate and that in Brisbane most people would like a 'cooler' room too.

We're currently painting our old bungalow and are going 1/4 Hog Bristle on the walls and gloss white on the wood work. It's coming up a treat as the wood work was always that really dark brown (almost black). The house is now much lighter but not too 'cold'. Hard work doing the skirtings properly as there were lots of dents etc. Full strength Hog Bristle would be way too dark even though we have 10 foot ceilings.

Gools

The house we used hog bristle full on has mostly 12 foot ceilings and it works. Smallish but not pokey rooms (all 3.2 x 4.2m .. yay for symmetrical worker's cottages) with reasonably large windows and a northerly aspect though so nice and light.

New house we want to use 1/2 str hog bristle on will have 9 foot ceilings. For all that we want a very cheap new house the first thing we did was add $7k to the price of the house by going higher ceilings and the 'classic' heritage old Queenslander look facade with the twiddly verandah decorations rather than the plain one. Some things are just worth upgrading!

NFC what colour to paint the outside though. Heritage red, cream and a charcoal roof on one side; heritage green, light green and white on the other side. I'm leaning towards a taupey mid grey with white trim and a silver roof at the moment ....

I used 1/2 Hogs on various walls through out my house with 1/2 Fair Bianca on the other walls, high gloss white on all the trims and have tassie oak floors. After 3yrs I still love it and good to know by all the responses it is still a current theme.

I will attempt to attach a pic...

Attachments

• DSC03142.jpg
    DSC03142.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 7,244
I'll answer based on what I am currently doing to an Edwardian weatherboard. Internally Antique white USA on walls but, with full gloss Natural White on the trims.

Back