Colour suggestions for dark house (bad orientation) with Jarrah floors.

I was thinking of going for Chalk USA Dulux. Is that dated now?? One wall Painted red. (which is painted already) Creamy/pink tiles in bathroom and laundry. Thanks

IP. The painter wants to paint the house the same colour, excluding the red wall. I had already painted the bathroom in chalk USA. I was a bit disappointed with the final look, but I guess the blue bath wouldn't help!! Actually, will add that to the quote!!

IP. The painter wants to paint the house the same colour, excluding the red wall. I had already painted the bathroom in chalk USA. I was a bit disappointed with the final look, but I guess the blue bath wouldn't help!! Actually, will add that to the quote!!
Same color means one coat,
Get your quote and change the color to something different ;)

The current colour scheme is a bit risque. Tenants either love or hate it. But no matter what, the yellow hallway was always a mistake!! :D

I'm a Building Designer and when the client cannot decide on a colour or does not want to go too fancy, the standard colour we always choose is Dulux Hog Bristle Half. It is a nice neutral colour.
Have worked in an Architects office who use the same colour.
Not sure how it will go with your red wall though.

Have a look at Dulux range of colours here;
http://www.dulux.com.au/colour/colour-wall

we always choose is Dulux Hog Bristle Half. It is a nice neutral colour.
I agree,its a nice neutral color and you can go 1.5 or double strength for the trim or even white gloss looks nice.;)
I have just painted a duplex today in full strength Hogs Bristle and it is to dark for a small house or flat,that's where 1/4 strength comes in with full strength for gloss or the white.

That was going to be my next choice. I think green goes with the red undertones of the jarrah. I did my last house in half strength that was a light filled house, might go quarter. I thought the chalk USA looked a bit pinky/yellow to me.

Our kitchen in our old faced south and we did it in hog bristle quarter with white trim.

People in there now are busy replacing all the carpet in that house with fake jarrah laminate boards, which will probably look good against the hog bristle full strength with white trim.

I've did Antique White USA at a rental property and I love it. I did the same colour on all walls, same colour in semi-gloss sheen on all skirtings, door frames and window frames. White on ceilings and cornice. And did some feature tiles in bathroom and kitchen. I'm very happy with the result.

That was going to be my next choice. I think green goes with the red undertones of the jarrah. I did my last house in half strength that was a light filled house, might go quarter. I thought the chalk USA looked a bit pinky/yellow to me.
I agree with you. If you want a cool-toned white go Dulux Whisper White (full) or Dulux White Duck half or qtr strength. If your red wall is blue or pink based you'll still be OK, but not so flash if it's a warm red.Warm red will go fine with Hogs as that has a yellow undertone.

I agree with you. If you want a cool-toned white go Dulux Whisper White (full) or Dulux White Duck half or qtr strength. If your red wall is blue or pink based you'll still be OK, but not so flash if it's a warm red.Warm red will go fine with Hogs as that has a yellow undertone.
The red wall is dulux Jules. I guess it would have pink undertones. http://www.dulux.com.au/colour/colour-gallery/hues-gallery/red
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Last edited:
Go neutral as per the other's advice.

I have had 2 IP's done all in hogs bristle 1/4 (walls in low sheen and trim in gloss enable but same colour) leaving ceilings white as they were ok.

If I had a property with Jarrah floors I would possibly go even whiter tho

i recently renovated a 1930s inglewood home with jarrah floorboards, we ended up using sago either 1/4 or 1/2 for most of the interior walls and trims. worked pretty well.

Back