Colourbond Roof Deteriorating

PPOR Colourbond roof has been deteriorating for the last 12 months. It is a white roof and is flaking and some parts of the roof are back to bare metal. We have just had a quote from Fortress Coatings for sealing and repainting. Has anyone used this company?? Any comments on quality?? They only give a 6 year guarantee.

Do we have any other options? As we only have tank water I am concerned whether this is doing us any harm.

Kinga

A couple of questions?

1: Did you also get a quote for a new Colourbond roof and see what difference there is ?

2: Is it rusting anywhere?

3: Is it an original C/B roof or just an old one painted to look like C/B.

From previous experience,usually the C/B roof will only fade not peel?

If your not sure,could you post a picture.:)

colourbond warranty

Im pretty sure all colourbond has a lifetime warranty?!
Have you called up the head office to enquire?
they might even give u a big discount on replacement roof?

How old is the roof and how long is the colourbond warranty,? there are many roofs with this problem and not only near the sea.

Thanks for the replies.

Painter
1. Haven’t had a quote for a new roof but I am sure a new roof would be way more than the $3400 quote to reseal and repaint.
2. Not rusting yet – Back to bare metal in places.
3. It is an original c/b roof.

PI141
We live in the bush a few hours to the nearest beach.

Tools
You are right, chalky best describes it. If you rub your hand over it you will get a white hand. It is like flakes the size of sand in the gutter.

Uncle Perce
Who would I ring to find out the warranty? Aren’t there a number of companies which supply colourbond – how would I find out which one?

Battler
House is 25yrs old. As per above, how would I know which company supplied?

I was hoping it may be under warranty but don't think so at 25 years.

The manufacturer is usually printed on the under side.

They have had a lot of trouble around here, particularly with green and blue colours, it still may be worth a try with the manufacturer, if you can find a brand.

Yes I have been told there was a batch of colourbond that was having the same problems you describe......others around Australia with same complaint all part of the same batch off the production line.

Give bluescope a call.

On a different note, I have recently had another colour spray painted over my c/bond fence as part of my Mother of Backyard Entertaining Area Renovations. ...worked a treat and alot easier and faster than replacing all the existing sheets and posts in ground. Check out the photo's for yourself on the above link.

PPOR Colourbond roof has been deteriorating for the last 12 months. It is a white roof and is flaking and some parts of the roof are back to bare metal. We have just had a quote from Fortress Coatings for sealing and repainting. Has anyone used this company?? Any comments on quality?? They only give a 6 year guarantee.

Do we have any other options? As we only have tank water I am concerned whether this is doing us any harm.

Kinga
Kinga,i would be worried if your were drinking the water from a colourbond roof but that's only what i have been told over the years and my personal opinion,most C-B roofs will flake off over the years but not back to unprimed metal,is there any heavy industry in the area?,or chemical farming sprays near your property,if it is white powder then it may well be some chemical
overspray that carries from the farms onto your roof..imho..willair..

Last edited:
Powdering and not peeling as I thought.
I have never in 31 years in the trade seen a C/B roof peel.
(Unless of course it has been repainted)

The price seems fair,
The most important thing that you need to do is make sure that they do not just gerni the roof and paint over the left over powder.

Before you accept the quote ,ask them how they intend to remove the powder???
Ring up and talk to a dulux paint rep or ask the dulux shop to get one to call you so you know if products available work.
This powder cannot be completely removed by high pressure water cleaning alone:(
It might look like it from the ground,however a quick wipe with your hand over the area will tell.
Do not let them proceed with the repainting until all sign of the powder is gone.:D

Rixter
I have put in an email enquiry to Bluescope.

Willair
Tank water is my only source of water. No heavy industry near us and this is definately not chemical on the roof.

Pa1nter
When it rains our gutter guards look like bad dandruff. Thousands of white specks covering the sieve.

Kinga

Colorbond steel has a zinc/aluminium alloy mixed with it, so I am assuming that since you can see no rust, that the powder u observe is an aluminium oxide. This will stay around for decades and not shift if you leave it alone, but i can't comment on what effect this has on drinking water. Even the bare metal (steel) I think will still not corrode (rust) unless the alloy coating is too far removed from that spot. The aluminium/zinc will oxidise first before the iron in the steel.
So basically, unless you don't like the look, I would leave it alone.
Unless the paint has specific anti-oxidants in it (like anti-rust paint), then the steel will still oxidise at the same rate, pretty much, in outside conditions. might slow it down by a year or two, but rust will then start to show as the paint opens up hairline cracks over the bare steel. At that point it's no different to treating rust on a car. But, as I said above, it depends how large the bare patches are. If you paint it be sure that the paint used is safe to drink from once it is dry. No nasty lead additives etc like in some Industrial paints, which made Beethoven deaf.
This link talks further about painting colobond
http://www.colorbond.com/go/home/residential/roofing/tips-and-advice/repair
Cheers,
JB

I too have a colourbond roof only 14 year old. It is very faded, with mildew and dirt. Fortress coating has also given me a quote to recoat it.
I am interested in what you found out.
Did your roof come under warrenty?
Did you go through Fortress Coatings?
Cheers
SS

Colorbond after 8 years 25km from coast.So much for there ads.Bluescope will not replace bullnose or patio.They say there is no warranty for delamination before 200? .These sheets were made 2000 and Bluescope said they have changed the formula twice since then.I have seen red,green and both blues like this.The roofers who replaced the main roof(goodwill) said they had over 700 houses to do.

Back