Combating those on a mission on an Amway sales pitch?

What I don't understand is whether they realise that people dislike this sort of bulldozer selling, especially from friends, or maybe they just care more about their bank account than alienating friends and acquaintances.

I know the woman who came with her husband was a nice lady, but people avoided her because nobody wanted to be stuck like a bunny in the headlights and wondering "is she wanting to be friendly because we connect" or is it fake because she wants me to become one of her downline.

That is the bit I really don't understand... whether they know this and don't care, or are so brainwashed that they just don't see how others see them.

I know another couple who do this but I could never get them to discuss it... ever. I believe they kept their business life and school life very separate for the reasons I've mentioned above.

And this thread makes me wonder whatever happened to Grossrealisation. He was into this stuff, wasn't he? I just looked and he seems to have a different name now and only one post back in February. I miss his posts.

I too have fallen victim to an Amway marketer. Also to a Usana (vitamins) one. The funny thing is the person who wanted me to sell Usana was a doctor who sold it to his patients - big conflict of interest there.

I work near their head office in Castle Hill. It was once a hive of activity, huge despatch area with trucks and forklifts everywhere. Now it's a ghost town and was on the market for tender a few months ago.

I too have fallen victim to an Amway marketer. Also to a Usana (vitamins) one. The funny thing is the person who wanted me to sell Usana was a doctor who sold it to his patients - big conflict of interest there.

I thought doctors made $28,000/day? :p

pinkboy

I work near their head office in Castle Hill. It was once a hive of activity, huge despatch area with trucks and forklifts everywhere. Now it's a ghost town and was on the market for tender a few months ago.

Interesting "assumption" for organisation that has a 10 bill annual turnover on a worldwide basis.

ta

rolf

Amway (the company not the resellers) are one of my clients - does not mean I promote or am involved in it, its strictly prohibited if you are a supplier and any network marketing involvement must be disclosed (I have no involvements).

The warehouse was moved to Eastern Creek earlier this year which is why you see less activity at Castle Hill. Most of the Castle Hill site is warehouse, adminstration etc is still there.

(and the girl added it was 5 star) [I can afford a 5 star holiday thank you!].

But do you .........................

An interesting tangent

Most folks like me are way too tight to spend that sort of money, I mean just the biz class flghts are way huge.

The only time that happens with me is when we have earnt an "incentive" trip through the aggregator , OR when the wife pays, in both cases someone else pays :)

ta
rolf

Steady on...

It's only a sales pitch.

Just tell the witch to farck off, and grow another layer of skin I reckon.

0cb3ef6e1d30edc0038eaa58f90b507c_xlarge.jpeg

What I don't understand is whether they realise that people dislike this sort of bulldozer selling, especially from friends, or maybe they just care more about their bank account than alienating friends and acquaintances.

That is the bit I really don't understand... whether they know this and don't care, or are so brainwashed that they just don't see how others see them.

Amway has strong ties to christian religion, and I believe does quite well through the fundamental christian churches. So the business is operated similarly to religious conversion and preys on a similar desire to fit in and become part of something.

Converts really believe that Amway will set them free (even though they've probably made little out of it). They want to set you free too.

Wylie, your friend is only trying to help. Don't you see that if you sign up you will be retired by 19 and living a life of riches?

Amway has strong ties to christian religion, and I believe does quite well through the fundamental christian churches.
I don't know if the Amway organisation has ties to religion- there don't appear to be direct ties. Certainly not in the way that Gloria Jeans has ties to Hillsong. It seems that it's more that the organisation has been started and built by people with a strong religious background, and their values would permeate.

Many of those MLM organisations, and even of non religious motivators like Anthony Robbins- have an evangelical feel,a compulsion to convince others their own views. People who thrive in such a church will have the personality type to thrive in Amway.

There seem to be a lot of "evangelical" atheists as well. They would probably not be uncomfortable either.

Why don't they simply start off their sales pitch with "Hey; join Amway with me, we'll sell stuff, and make shoitloads out of it, and do it from home." :confused:

All that cloak and dagger stuff they dribble on with to suck you in to a "meeting".....

I get about one attempt to pitch me MLM per year.

My radar picks it up in about five seconds, I promptly stop the pitcher, deconstruct the pitch, advise them they are wasting their time then leave it at that.

Why don't they simply start off their sales pitch with "Hey; join Amway with me, we'll sell stuff, and make shoitloads out of it, and do it from home."

I saw "the plan" (as it was called at the time) back in 1997. Not for me so I politely declined. But it was interesting nonetheless and somewhat of an education.

Welcome to adult life - have you seen the Amway plan? Tick.

Afaik, strictly speaking you don't actually "join amway" - afaik you join a group like Network 21 - and through that organisation you then promote and distribute Amway products.

I'm also a little bit shocked at the level of vitriole that some people have towards Amway. As Rolf said, this is a privately held company with annual revenue over $10bn pa. I don't care what anyone says, that's damn impressive.

So maybe I don't agree with all they (or their approved distributor networks) do - but they're hardly bad corporate citizens when compared to tobacco companies, big oil, fast food, etc.

And (I'm sure I will be slated for saying this), believe it or not, there are people out there who don't like how we (property investors) go about making money either. My point being that none of us really can be holier than thou on these things....

Another simple little tactic these network marketing groups love is giving away a gift if you are prepared to give a list of names that they can contact for future sales.

Great way to break up friends and families:rolleyes:

I have friends who are into MLM. One I've seen go through 5 different groups in 4 years.

They may be annoying, but I generally just say it's not for me and leave them be.

Sales roles breed the most toxic personality types. :)

But do you .........................

An interesting tangent

Most folks like me are way too tight to spend that sort of money, I mean just the biz class flghts are way huge.

The only time that happens with me is when we have earnt an "incentive" trip through the aggregator , OR when the wife pays, in both cases someone else pays :)

ta
rolf

Haven't done business class. But determined to only stay 5 star in terms of accomodtion.

What's an aggregator?

The incentive doesn't interest me, may be cos I only really like family trips :)

Last edited:
Back