Combine Stormwater Drain blockages!

I have just returned from Brisbane Square. I have a copy of the Roofwater plan for the surrounding area. It clearly runs all the way down through the street until my property - lucky last! As my property is at the end of the hill, water from at least 10 properties would be gushing down the pipe during a downpour.

The council staff advised me that these are old waste water pipes from way back. When BCC put in proper sewerage lines they told residents they can use these old waste pipes for storm water drain off - but that council would no longer be responsible for their upkeep.

I asked specifically whether any records about agreements on useage of pipes like these were available. I was told that if there was, Council would not have them, and they would be attached to the Property title as an Easement or a Statutory Covenant in the case of development projects.

So there you have it. They agreed my best port of call would be to take this to a plumber who would have a better understanding (and appropriate contacts) to look into the matter in more detail.

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for the help so far.

An interesting scenario Trawler. I interpret that no one is responsible for the drain. So your neighbor's best option is to just disconnect his roof run off from the pipe and let the water find its way onto your property as overland flow. Though I don't get why when the pipe backs up, does it sit on his property and not flow down to yours.....You are downhill from him, yes?

When we were between tenants and were at an IP having pest checks done etc, our downhill neighbours insisted our roof water (stormwater) runoff was destabilising their stumps (queenslander house).

We had four pipes from the roof, each going into drains. We had our plumber come and take a look and he confirmed these pipes were all silted up. He dug up one of them about ten metres from the house in the back yard and it was broken terracotta pipe and had been blocked for many, many years.

Hence all our roof water was flowing over our yard, and into the neighbours yard, over his yard into his neighbours yard, etc etc. We are the fifth house from the crest of the hill and there are another six houses until the land flattens out.

Plumber dug a gravel pit (regulation was 1m x 1m x 1m) which was filled with gravel and we had new poly piping run into this pit. He said the pit would eventually fill with silt, but we had done what Brisbane City Council said was the alternative to running the stormwater to the street.

If these pipes (according to BCC) are not the responsibility of anyone, then shouldn't
each house look after their own roof water? We had to do that.

I cannot see why you are the bunny who has to pay for something simply because you happen to be at the bottom of a hill.

I would be asking BCC whether they can write to each uphill house and insist each one look after their own roof water. I certainly would not be paying a plumber to fix the problem of everyone up the hill.

At worst, get your own roof water sorted out, and let BCC know.

Strange indeed that they seem to not care. The houses across the road from our PPOR have no stormwater drain, and each house must look after their own roof water. Two of the downhill neighbours of the house across the road from us tried to have our friends "fix" problems caused by water run off. Do these downhill neighbours think ALL the water running across their block comes off the roof of ONE house?

One house owner actually tried to have our friends pay to have mould removed from the internal brickwork base of her house. When their builder looked at it, he said the mould was 50 years old and caused by years of lack of proper ventilation.

Don't fall into paying for everyone else's problem.

I emailed council some questions to get a response in writing. Got a reply this morning.

My questions were:

1) Could you please supply some background on Roof Water Drains and their intended function?

2) What are Brisbane City Council’s obligations, if any, in maintaining Roof Water Drains?

3) What are my obligations, if any, in maintaining the Roof Water Drain that runs under my property?

4) Should a Roof Water Drain become unserviceable due to reasons such as downstream blockages, how would Brisbane City Council advise residents to manage their storm water run off?

The reply I got:

Maintenance of storm or roof water systems on private property is the responsibility of the property owners. Council requires storm or roof water to be managed in an approved manner, for example, directed to Council stormwater mains.

Council will respond to complaints about storm or roof water running into neighbouring properties. Council has a fact sheet that identifies ways in which a property owner can manage storm or roof water runoff.

Advice on storm or roof water connections is the responsibility of private certifiers. You can locate certifiers in the Yellow Pages under 'Building Surveyors'.

Not too helpful.

Storm water drain - Please take time to read

Hi,
Can you please be able give me an advice? We are kind of lost what to do and time is running out.We only have one day to change our mind.This is our first home and we have being trying to buy for a long time now.

My husband and me is looking to buy a house which has a storm water drain in it's backyard.

We checked with BCC and they told us this is one of the main drainages which serves neighbouring properties too.

I know we cannot build anything 2 meters from it too.

My questions are,
1) Will having a main storm drain in the property, is it a headache in long run?
2) does it cause problems, to anyone's knowledge ? if so what kind of problems.

3)Will it really effect reselling value of the house to your experience?

Note:
There are no trees in the property we are planning to buy so roots problem might not be an issue.

If someone kind enough to answer this, our heartfelt gratitude to that person.

Thanks,
SR

It could be a hassle if you, or a potential buyer when you sell, want to extend the house, build a swimming pool, or do more extensive landscaping. It may also be an issue if neighboring lots higher up that connect with the storm water are rezoned higher density.

I'd suggest you talk to a private town planner to clarify.

A guy that has been generous with his time in the past with me, is

Matt Doolan
He is at Chermside in Brisbane's northern burbs.

If you are very specific when you ask questions about the property, he might give you 5 minutes of very good advice for free. Don't expect anymore than that though.

Back