Combining equity from 2 IP's to purchase 3rd IP?

Hi Guys,

I am wanting to purchase another property within the next 6 or so months and bring my portfolio up to 3 property's.

Currently I have 2 houses in Perth (1 in Baldivis and 1 in Yanchep) both are through the same bank - Bankwest. (didn't want it that way but anyway....)

Baldivis has a 400k mortgage and worth $450k(ish) was valued at $435k in January by Bankwest (ANZ did a paper valuation for $450k). This is rented at $430p/w. Used a cash deposit for this one. Think it's a 95% LVR.

Yanchep has just about finished being built and ready for tenants. Mortgage is $377k and having a look at RP data etc I guesstimate it would be between the $425k-435k. Expected rent will be been $430-450 p/w. I'm hoping $450 as it will then be just positively geared. Also used a cash deposit for this and the LVR is 92.34%

Done some rough calculations and based on the lower figures and keeping some equity for the bank I should have circa $60-70k in combined equity between the property's.

I would hope this would put me in a situation to put a 20% deposit down on a cheap property over east, would like an 80% LVR so that I can then gain access to that equity straight away and start rapidly building the portfolio.......from the research this seems to be the way to do it?

So the question is can I combine equity to purchase another IP through another bank? New to this and stll trying to understand how the equity works but from what I can understand you can do a redraw or obtain a LOC to draw from that?

I am going to go to a broker eventually but just trying to get my head around the situation and gain any advice on what to do and how to get me a 3rd property.

Hopefully that all makes sense, got all this stuff pinging around in my brain and its frustrating as my group of friends enjoy spending their money on crap and booze/drugs (early 20's lol) instead of investing so it's hard to try and talk and get advice with any of that lot!

Hi Guys,

I am wanting to purchase another property within the next 6 or so months and bring my portfolio up to 3 property's.

Currently I have 2 houses in Perth (1 in Baldivis and 1 in Yanchep) both are through the same bank - Bankwest. (didn't want it that way but anyway....)

Baldivis has a 400k mortgage and worth $450k(ish) was valued at $435k in January by Bankwest (ANZ did a paper valuation for $450k). This is rented at $430p/w. Used a cash deposit for this one. Think it's a 95% LVR.

Yanchep has just about finished being built and ready for tenants. Mortgage is $377k and having a look at RP data etc I guesstimate it would be between the $425k-435k. Expected rent will be been $430-450 p/w. I'm hoping $450 as it will then be just positively geared. Also used a cash deposit for this and the LVR is 92.34%

Done some rough calculations and based on the lower figures and keeping some equity for the bank I should have circa $60-70k in combined equity between the property's.

I would hope this would put me in a situation to put a 20% deposit down on a cheap property over east, would like an 80% LVR so that I can then gain access to that equity straight away and start rapidly building the portfolio.......from the research this seems to be the way to do it?

So the question is can I combine equity to purchase another IP through another bank? New to this and stll trying to understand how the equity works but from what I can understand you can do a redraw or obtain a LOC to draw from that?

I am going to go to a broker eventually but just trying to get my head around the situation and gain any advice on what to do and how to get me a 3rd property.

Hopefully that all makes sense, got all this stuff pinging around in my brain and its frustrating as my group of friends enjoy spending their money on crap and booze/drugs (early 20's lol) instead of investing so it's hard to try and talk and get advice with any of that lot!

Separate loan for equity against existing property, new loan against purchase property.

Tell your broker you don't want the loans crossed, it can be done with the same lender. If you current loans are crossed request them to be uncross. If your broker tells you that you can't, change broker/banker.

To me it doesn't look like you have enough equity to draw out?

Going with your higher range of estimates for the properties you have:

1. Assets of 885k.

You are generally able to draw each property to 90% LVR which would give you:

2. 885k x 0.9 = 795k of maximum loans on the properties.

You have mortgages of 777k.

Available Equity = 795 - 777 = 18K

Best way to check if your loans are x collateralized is to check the loan contracts. If two securities on one contract then the answer is yes! My guess is they will be.
Was speaking to a well connected real estate/property guy the other day and he was saying that Yanchep has been earmarked for major infrastructure works in the future so could be worth holding onto that one.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah was reading guides to equity from all sorts of sites with calculators etc so my calculation seem pretty far out but guess it's all a learning thing!

The Baldivis property is listed under the 'Security' in the loan contract for Yanchep so guess it was used as collateral so does that mean loans are crossed? Sorry if I'm sounding dumb lol but not sure what you guys mean by crossed?

Rolf: Just don't want to waste a brokers time or my time and seemingly I seem to get useless brokers so will have to get some recommendations off here!

If there's no equity in the property's I take it the best way forward is a LOC as it would be tax deductible I assume? Instead of using my cash like I have done twice already don't really want to hand over another 30k to a bank rather keep it for a rainy day especially with goings on at the moment. Obviously people cant give specific advice but general advice is fine :)

Back