Comfort Zone

Right time to ask questions as I just did some back of envelope calculations :D

Elizabeth East SA $190k buy & hold now to develop 3-5 years time
West Bathurst NSW $307k buy & hold
Mount Austin NSW $235k buy & hold
Highbury SA $360k development site (in progress)

Total Value $1,092,000
Total Debt $966,000

LVR 88.50%

Cash $70k

Available Private Loan for development $60k

I feel naked :|

Thanks for this informative post. What's the ownership structure for your portfolio?

Thanks for this informative post. What's the ownership structure for your portfolio?

Under my own name, at this stage no plan to sell any of the stock.

Any future developments will likely be in a different structure as would likely need to offload stock.

to answer the OP, my position is always "depends on the return".

i will happily go to 95% LVR if i'm making enough return to pay it down - ie a 10% yield would pay the mortgage and the excess would sit in an offset account.

alternatively, if i'm only pulling in a 5-6% yield, i will only go to 80%.

Hi there,

I am wondering what people's comfort zone is in relation to their LVR. I mean as the portfolio grows along with the LVR is there a point where it all becomes untenable. For example, how do people feel having a $12M portfolio with a LVR of 50 percent, that is $6M in borrowings even with a "secure" job. As the portfolio grows do people lower their LVR by not purchasing any more? I suppose I am asking is when do you stop?

LE

You stop when you have reached your destination/ultimate goal. (ie when your portfolio is providing your income requirements.)

If you dont know where you are going, you will never know when you have arrived.

My lvr was about 39% last time I looked. I've been following a slower strategy (although we flipped a few properties years ago). Properties are all positive, all on p&i (what isn't paid off). Planning my next purchase which will be negative and also io (two firsts for me). Only doing that because I don't like the other options in the current market. When I get over 60% lvr I might reach the limit of my comfort level but only because I want to cut back on work very soon. I don't have long enough to hold them and wait for negative properties to increase sufficiently. I'm only aiming for about $4k pm income so will decide to stop, or not when I get there this year.

Over $4.5 debt ...looking to hit $6m in the next few years.....though the offsets being this down significantly....

Thanks. Just back to my original question and what level of discomfort do people stop at?

LE
I have found that the level of comfort is not relevant to the zeros on the end of the debt.

The level of comfort for me has always been related directly to the serviceability of the debt at the time.

For eg:

In 1980, when I was 19 years old and doing my apprenticeship, the engine in my car failed and I had to get a loan to repair it - $900. I could barely afford it on my wage but I needed a car for my work. I ended up taking a job as a barman at nights as well to keep afloat.

The stress from worrying if I could keep up the repayments on both the car and the loan for the repairs was intense....

Fast forward to 2010. In this year I bought my mechanical workshop, and we had to borrow money to do it - mostly equity in our own home and a business loan for the rest.

From that day on, we were over $1mill in debt due to the IP's and the workshop loan, but in the first year of the workshop, we were as happy as Larry - the servicability was really good.

Now, our servicability is cr@p, but the debt is much the same (have reduced the LVR a bit which is good).

The feeling of worry and stress between the two scenarios is almost identical.

I don't feel more stress because the zeros on the end have increased. You get more comfortable with increasing debt as time goes by.

I suspect that if the zeros doubled again, as long as the servicability was there, it would be no problem.

Confort Zone

Originally Posted by Liverpool St View Post Thanks.
Just back to my original question and what level of discomfort do people stop at?

LE

Your discomfort ends when you stop pushing yourself forward.

Cheers

:D

Agree with Bayview re level of comfort being based on the serviceability of the debt.

Our resi property loans are at 8 mil right now.
Got some relief with funds in the PPOR offset account though.

Dear Liverpool
I am a similar age to you. As my portfolio grows I will use the equity to purchase more but keep the LVR at the same low level. That is my comfort zone. I have a 1, 5 and 10 year plan going forward. I will stop when I don't enjoy property anymore.

Cheers
Charlotte30

Probaly wouldnt be wise to make a 20 or 25 year plan though i guess.

Back