Coming out....

In today's paper, Ian Thorpe
About 10 years ago, someone had suggested he is, and he denied
He finally came out today.

Few years ago, one night out, a friend of mine spotted her dad in a dress
She was so shocked and embarrassed at the same time
Since then, her father has left the family and living as a man/woman, he is I believe in his late 50's

Another friend of mine, came clean to his parents at the age of 18, he has not spoken to them ever since, the only son in the family

Living in denial must be tough, but the courage of coming out must have been tougher than anything.

I did think when Mitch (the diver) came out that Thorpey would follow but not so, hopefully he will feel a bit more true to himself now.

It has been no big deal for some time IMO

I think it's great, Thorpe is now a inspiration to many young people that are struggling with how they feel...

Everything he described, the anxiety, depression suicide etc it's a all a grim but true reality for many people ,young and old for that matter , that feel they are living in hell.. Having no one to talk to about it and are suffering alone is the worst and no human being should have to go through that

Homophobia is so 19 hundreds , people need to get over themselves

Heterosexual, Homosexual, Transgender. Doesn't make one ounce of difference. If it is between consenting adults then it is fine. All types of sexual preferences should be embraced except for those that involve abuse of others.

Heterosexual, Homosexual, Transgender. Doesn't make one ounce of difference. If it is between consenting adults then it is fine. All types of sexual preferences should be embraced except for those that involve abuse of others.

Agree with Mike on the consenting adults bit and the non abuse of others.

And agree Thorpey may well be the darling of media again one day, he is of course chasing an interviewers career.

Last edited:
All for the money?

Liked this article on the matter...
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/swimmin...lation-will-pay-dividends-20140714-zt6tw.html

Coming out was part of a $500k + deal with Channel 10.
Remember when he lost loads of his money? His comeback/virgin deal was about money, this is about money.
I'm happy for him if he's happy. Couldn't really care either way. I'm sure he's not bothered if I care either. If it helps him and others fell more comfortable about coming out that's great too. I'm not denying that there was probably pressure for him not to come out, nor am I saying that it wasn't difficult for him, BUT let's see this announcement for what it is, a chance to boost the bank balance as part of a TV promotional package. Hey I'd do it too if I could.
Like so much of Aus TV - its just promotion not news (don't get me started on 60 minutes).

Last edited:
"I'm the only gay in the village."

An opportunity missed for Thorpe: he could have been a role model for gays.

Surprised that Parkinson was called in to do the interview. Channel 10 must be keen to see their investment stays good.

I think i have a chicken that is coming out. It lays eggs but crows like a rooster. Or maybe it's transgender or something else?? Lately it's been crowing more than laying, but thankfully not as loud as a rooster.

Back