Commercial props - our stories

Like most people, we were having trouble finding +CF deals scurrying and fossiking (sp ??) around the residential stock. We were also pretty fed up with the constant whinging at the drop of a hat of our tenants over very minor details that took both time and money to rectify...to their satisfaction.

The penny eventually dropped that perhaps we were fossiking in the wrong chestnut pile, and our efforts may have be rewarded more by trying something new. We remembered receiving a "tip" from my wife's uncle, who was heavily into CIP's. His only brief comment was 'Once you've finished mucking around with houses - have a look at commercial'.

We didn't really think much of it at the time and dismissed it as 'something somebody else does', we'll stick to what we know and feel comfortable with.

It took about 18 months of inaction before a combination of whinging tenants / massive negative cashflows from the RIP's and that irking little voice of my wife's uncle in my ear that finally pushed us over the edge and out of our 'comfort zone' - what a scary place that is - but so exhilirating.

We furiously starting researching deals that were +CF, but really we didn't know where to start. These were some of the things we found ;

The financing was completely different
It was more expensive
The bank wouldn't lend as much against it
The agents were different
Everything that was a negative feature in RIP's was suddenly a sought after feature that you paid more for
Different terminology (NLA, nett rent, Lessor, 90 day bank bills etc)

We were literally floundering as most of our techniques for RIP acquisitions didn't work.

Despite all of the 'Oh my gawd's', and 'I don't feel comfortable' moments, we forged ahead regardless, expanding our comfort zone and narrowing our search down.

We eventually decided to have a crack at a place that unbeknowst to us, had been up for auction about 4 months previously and been passed in. We innocently rocked up and found the agent talking a different language. We were both trying to seem non-chalant as if this was perfectly normal, but he instantly cottoned on that we were newbies at this (the three little girls hovering around our knees sort of gave it away too).

The biggest thing that made us uncomfortable was that the vendor was one of Perth's biggest developers...a real sharp cookie who always made buku money off his deals...we were on the other end so we knew we were the patsies being bled. It also had bugger all land component, which we knew was important for future CG, but we just wanted to forge ahead and get the first deal under the belt and cop all the lessons in one hit.

On the positive side, we were encouraged with the 10 year lease, which read like a dream. Coming from a residential background, we couldn't believe tenants would actually agree to all of the onerous conditions placed upon them...and they had to fork out for absolutely everything. The developer had distilled down and cherry picked the best of all the leases he had ever come across in 30 years of investing into this one document. We saw a term that has remained with us ever since "At the Lessee's sole cost and responsibility to the Lessor's satisfaction." What a fantastic term and what a breathe of fresh air compared with RIP's.

We decided to go ahead and the deal looked something like this ;

Capital

1. Purchase Price $ 1.350 MM
2. Acquistion Costs $ 0.08 MM (95% of this was stamp duty on title)
3. Loan Amount $ 1.430 MM
4. Bank Valuation $ 1.350 MM
5. Land value - bugger all

Income

1. Nett rent of $ 120 K p.a. & GST (escalating $ 5 K p.a.)
2. Outgoings of $ 15 K p.a. (kindly paid by the tenants)
3. Gross effective rent of $ 135 K p.a.

We were nearly duped on the deposit for this. The vendor's agent wanted $ 30K. Upon offering $ 5K, he said it would have to be $ 30K, such that if we had any problems - the vendor could hire a top flight lawyer and sue us with our money...that didn't go down too well...and we had to muster all our experience from previous deals to fend that one off. In the end he backed off with his ridiculous insistence.

There was some issues at settlement that were resolved eventually. They mainly centred around the tenant not getting on with the vendor. Once we took over, all problems seemed to disappear...I still find it amazing how a change of personality and "feelings" massively affects straight forward business transactions. I guess we are all humans who enjoy being treated with dignity.

It doesn't set the world on fire by any stretch, but we cut our teeth on it, and it provided much learning in terms of setting us down a new path. We vowed never to go back to RIP's after the purchase, and that philosophy has served us well.

Cheers,

Dazzling

"No point having a cake if you can't eat it."

and....

Thought I’d share with everyone some things our group went through purchasing our latest acquisition…on a more detailed financial level. It was the ‘top of the heap’ that we eventually pursued after sifting through 17 props that were on our research hitlist. The 17 were culled from an original list of over 400. Here we go ;

Capital

1. Purchase Price $ 2.270 MM
2. Acquistion Costs $ 0.12 MM (95% of this was stamp duty on title)
3. Loan Amount $ 2.390 MM
4. Bank Valuation $ 2.410 MM (that was a nice surprise – 20K equity on day one)
5. Land value $ 2.100 MM (this was the biggest attraction for us – 92.5% land)

Income

1. Nett rent of $ 147 K p.a. & GST (going up to $ 158 K p.a. in Dec)
2. Outgoings of $ 35 K p.a. (kindly paid by the tenants)
3. Gross effective rent of $ 182 K p.a. ($ 3,500 p.w. now, going to $ 3,700 p.w.)

We initially had trouble convincing our Lender that we were good for the risk. Like many people on this forum, the Lender was only personally experienced with average residential properties and couldn’t see the potential of the property.

I decided to break the property down into something that was within his frame of reference. Below is pretty much what I wrote to him, after which the loan was approved by the supposedly more intelligent people over in Sydney who made the final decision.

“Consider the property as a street with 10 houses in it. Each house is worth $ 227 K, sitting on a block of land worth $ 210 K. The house itself is only worth $ 17 K, yet it is currently rented at $ 350 p.w., with a rent rise scheduled for each house to $ 370 p.w. in December.”

The vendor was a 65 yr old business owner who had owned the property since 1964. He paid $ 16 K for it back in 1964. In comparison, I have no idea what a house was worth back then.

The whole property has averaged about 12.9% p.a. since 1964. On receipt of the sale proceeds, the vendor said this was his “fishing money” – I took that to mean his retirement fund.

We are hoping to hold the place for a similar amount of time, the numbers get a tad scary when you project them out...to about $ 349 MM. Obviously inflation eats into the buying power of this, but it's still substantial. Who knows what will happen over that time frame.

The vendors real estate agent was 67 years old, and had actually sold the property to him back in 1964 !!! Talk about long business arrangements. Both men are reasonably comfortable - if you know what I mean.

The interesting bit for me was that both these gentlemen cannot drive a computer and hence the property was not marketed ‘online’. I found this a bit unusual, but realised not everyone is part of the computer age. These two gents obviously have no calling for it.

Instead, it was a little 2 line non-descript ad in the local rag. I noticed it one day and summarily dismissed it, but then chased it harder about a month later. I was pretty luke warm on the whole deal as I didn’t have all the details at the time, and frankly they were in no rush to give them to me – different time zone I reckon...I now know what it was like to do business in the 60's !!

Anyway, another couple of months passed by and I chased it again, fully realising the potential of the place. The deal was done over the phone and fax between the vendor and myself over the course of 2 hours….but what a harrowing 2 hours.

Negotiating with these wily ol' men is an experience everyone should go through for their own education - definitely not something that should be palmed off to a buyers agent - too valuable to pass up.

One of the nice side benefits of the deal was the vendor and I became close enough after the deal was done, that I felt comfortable enough to approach and ask him if he’d consider being my mentor for the next stage of growth of our group. I think he was a bit chuffed being asked - I'm about 10 years younger than his son. Being an ex-president of the Masters Builders Assoc., I have a lot to learn from him.

Anyway, that’s the story for number 11. Hopefully someone is able to glean something from it. I'd love to hear other people's detailed stories of their property acquistions.

Roll on Number 12….after a little breather I think….might go get me some cruise ship pamphlets in the meantime.

Postscript :

Just completed signing up new leases with two big national tenants where we managed to lift the nett rent to $ 174 K p.a. & GST & all outgoings for the first year. A 4x2 lease for both of them on a 4% escalation clause. The block of dirt with a few rusty ol' sheds is now +CF in yr 1 and going to get stronger cashflows as the yrs tick by. We've got to the stage where it is now set and forget.....now for next door !!!!

Cheers,

Dazzling

"No point having a cake if you can't eat it."

Hi Dazzling.

Great post, very informative.

You mention "your group". Just wondering how many in the group and is it an even split among all members, and what happens if someone wants out.

Regards
Marty

G'day Dazzling,

Magnificent read !
Very imformative and has created a thirst to learn more ... thank you.
Any further info / experiences would be appreciated by all me thinks.

G'day Dazzling,

Could you list out your basic criteria when searching for a commercial purchase ?

I've heard mention that commercial should return a min of 20% and that this area of property investment carries higher returns but also higher risk. What guiding words do you have for those of us that are yet to venture there ?

We initially had trouble convincing our Lender that we were good for the risk. Like many people on this forum, the Lender was only personally experienced with average residential properties and couldn’t see the potential of the property
In the 2nd post, latest acquistion, you implied the lender hadn't initially shown expertise in dealing with commercial. Do you use a mix of commercial and residential lenders or was this a one off ?

I too am curious about your refering to your "group" when in the 1st purchase you had the kids with you and I thought you were buying alone.

kissfan said:
You mention "your group". Just wondering how many in the group and is it an even split among all members, and what happens if someone wants out.

Sorry, it gets a bit confusing I know.

We started out just buying in our personal names, but very quickly switched to all of this nonsense with trusts and companies as trustees, etc etc....dancing to the tune of all the lawyers and accountants...such that we can be protected from all the lawyers and accountants....if that makes sense.

The "group" referred to is just all of the poxy $ 2 holding companies and dodgy bros. trusts that have grown like mushrooms. I keep being advised by all and sundry that I must dis-associate myself from them and keep thinking of them as a "group" and not attached to the wife and I....it doesn't work.

There's only 2 in our group, the wife and I. Given that, obviously it's not an even split...if you know what I mean. ;)

What happens if someone wants out....oh dear this is worse case nightmare stuff....ummm, I guess I get thrown out of the house and start sleeping on the streets. :eek:

Cheers,

Dazzling "No point having a cake if you can't eat it."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dazzling,

Thanks for the great posts. Truly inspirational stuff. How did you manage to get a loan at the same valuation? How do you get away with not throwing in at least 30% of your own equity into the deal? Do the banks lend at gross realisation or have you x-collaterised? I found our one and only CP nearly killed all our equity. I know what you mean though by set and forget. Great stuff. Keep up the great stories. How about No. 2 to 10. Are they all IIP and CPs too?

Keen to learn more.

ASDF

Dazzling, great stuff! Further to ASDF's post, can you provide more info on the 'trusts and companies' bit please. I presume you have created a limited company with you and your wife as the shareholders? If so, what are the costs of doing this and what are the benefits to you - is it purely asset protection and what are the tax implications, eg company tax versus personal income tax etc etc?

Keep supplying the info!!

What a fantastic thread! Please tell us more Dazzling, wonderful stuff! Thanks Oc1 for bumping this one back up!

Cheers,
Jen

I, for one, would like to LOTS hear more from Dazz.

Further, since we have "coffee shops" etc ...why not a separate forum section for commercial / industrial IPs. If you don't like it , gees, don't go there !!!

I've got a "belly full" of residential IPs and now we are considering our first move to commercial/industrial. Reading books , this seems to be a logical progression for those of us serious about "property" as our future.

Somebody ...can we have a separate forum section ??

LL

hi all
I am interested in what has got up dazzlings nose have read his posts for some time I am wondering what was posted as I don't see anything in the post so far that I can read here.
"Given that my opinion and threads are causing so much angst to your forum community" maybe I have missed the post can you dazzling or someone show me where it is.
so I can have a read.

I like his posts, it taught me alot and we need more members like Dazzling to tell there stories. But I think I have missed something as well.

Yeah ..me too.

Come clean here ...who or what got up Dazz's nostrils ?

Dazz...talk to us ...I see we can't send you an email ? Let's learn !!

LL

Not Just Houses

I'm for re-establishing the full post as well,

We see people talk shop about shares, IP's, General info, etc. etc.

Perhaps Commercial investing isn't the par for the forum, :eek:
but it does hold a place as an investment discussion worthy of reading and absorbing.
We can learn from others who invest in commercial and perhaps use some of the principles or disregard them.

It's 'one persons' view and will be "read" as such.

Please restore the post or redirect those of us interested to where we can read about such matters.

Thanks for the post thus far Dazzling, hope all your news will soon "front before our eyes"

hi all
just to clarify I do have both resi and comm property so I am not advocating either but would like to hear, what was the problem.
different people have different investments and thats good but for dazzling to serve off a volly as I have read something has gone to the cutting room floor and just wondering what that something was.
I do remember a certain member took it upon them selves to cut one of my posts for a reason unto them selves and cut a post and I was told that I should repost as no record of the post is kept.
as it turned out the person did require new glasses as they had read incorrectly and may have had there own axe to grind.
having said that I would like to hear from the proverbial horses mouth what was in this post and was there similar sharp scissor cutting involved.
oh and for those who do remember the hedge fund post no I didn't in the end get involved in it and it was over subscribed.
and thats snipper I haven't heard of since.

Bricks & Mortar said:
:mad: Not Just Houses

I'm for re-establishing the full post as well,

We see people talk shop about shares, IP's, General info, etc. etc.

Perhaps Commercial investing isn't the par for the forum,
but it does hold a place as an investment discussion worthy of reading and absorbing.
We can learn from others who invest in commercial and perhaps use some of the principles or disregard them.

It's 'one persons' view and will be "read" as such.

Please restore the post or redirect those of us interested to where we can read about such matters.

Thanks for the post thus far Dazzling, hope all your news will soon "front before our eyes"

I’m not sure why such an old thread is dredging up so many emotions. If any posts were removed or edited it would have been because of personal attacks etc. Certainly not because it was a discussion about commercial property.

We welcome any discussions on property investment……commercial or residential. In fact, we welcome discussion about anything (within reason of course). :)

Dazzling is an important member of this forum and the issues of last year are no doubt long forgotten. I know I can’t remember what happened.

If you are wanting to keep track of what Daz has been up to and what he’s been saying of late, his posts are easily searchable.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/member.php?u=5276

Just click on Find all posts by Dazzling.

From what I remember he’s working OS at the moment, and I’m sure he’ll contribute to this thread when he gets a chance.

Ruby :)

I remember some of the threads where Dazz got on the wrong side of a few members.
Though I must say since then he has been a wonderful contributor here and I also vote to forget last year.

Back