Commercial/Residential mixed purpose

Hey, first post on Somersoft. I've been lurking and have been doing a tonne of reading and am now putting the toe into the water with some questions.

I've found a shop in Redfern NSW (inner city Sydney) with a residential apartment on the first floor and am curious about how the zoning applies and works. Obviously it's all down to council approval but I can't find any good resources on turning retail/resi into all residential.

Given the strata fees and that it is part of a row of three there's also the restriction that would be potentially applied there too.

I've gone for a walk around the area and can't quite work out how the building is connected to some of the apartments/offices on the rear lane way side.

So before I contact the agent and express interest on something which is more a quick glance than a genuine interest I was hoping someone on Somersoft could help.

- Anyone have experience with Shop/Resi on top?
- Is there a way to find the building plans with the council (all three units and connecting buildings)?
- The store to it's right has a roof terrace - odds of making the apartment two floors?
- General why this may end up being a bad idea

And for those that are playing at home - Ideally turning the existing building into a 2 storey (+ roof terrace depending) and as a PPOR. I would like to have access only via the rear not front for security and peace & quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dan. I've removed the address of the property- if it's a really good deal you don't want somebody grabbing it. I've actually seen that happen to a forum member, unfortunately.

Hi Dan. I've removed the address of the property- if it's a really good deal you don't want somebody grabbing it. I've actually seen that happen to a forum member, unfortunately.

Thanks for that :) probably a good idea, although I'm still very much on the fence.

Dan, as the property is strata titled, any subdivision will be a right PITA. You will need to do a complete registration of all of the lots, so I would steer clear of these dangerous thoughts.

Unless the property has a separate access for the apartment and shop, you will need to lease it to the one party - why? The retailer cannot get insurance as they do not have sole access/security over their tenancy. You will also need to provide parking for both premises.

If you want plan, contact the agent for a contract which will contain the strata plan. You can always say 'NO'.

The apartment has it's own private access from the rear and has a parking spot connected to the rear laneway. The only common area between the two is a courtyard at the back which the parking space connects to, and the stairs up to the apartment start. They are already seperate to one another. I was more curious on the odds of offing the retailer and turning it all into one "house".

Then you will have to look at other matters - installation of bathroom/shower/laundry hooked up to exhaust/access to drainage below (considering you do not own it), kitchen & kitchen exhaust, fire separation of the two units, lodgement of a DA for the change of use (providing the use is permitted under the LEP - so need to consult a town planner).

I've requested a set of detailed plans from the REA and depending on how they look I'll contact a town planner and go from there. IMO it's an odd one as there is already a kitchenette and shower room as part of the retail store, so in my head it's as simple as smashing a set of internal stairs in and covering the shop front. Obviously with approval from everyone haha

Back