Common Area insurance WA

Hi All

I have just purchased a Villa in a block of 3 that is due for completion in 12 weeks.
Because I am Located in the middle of the 3 our driveway is common area to mine and the last villa.
The Villa’s have no strata management at all so individual owners have to take out insurance or go with one insurer and divide it by 3.

I have two options, either goes as an individual and get it with RAC or find Strata insurance and nominate an owner to take charge or ourselves and do it that way.

• Who here knows or manages the Strata insurance for their complex common property only?
  • Recommendation of companies that do common insurance only in WA
  • Not worry about the others and just get my RAC insurance that covers common property.

I called RAC to find out about there cover, the lady was unsure but checked with Team leader that building insurance will also cover common area.
She also said that in the event all owners got individual insurance and a person go injured then RAC will go out and Fight it out with the other insurance companies if any claims arise. This to me sounds very messy

RAC Product Disclosure statement

Where the Home is part of a scheme under the Strata
Titles Act, the cover is extended to include your legal
liability for claims arising from incidents which occur in
or on the common property of the scheme.
This extension of cover for the common property is
provided only where your liability for such claims has not
been insured under the provisions of the Strata Titles
Act 1985 by the Strata Company.
Liability cover provided by Home Building cover does not
extend to liabilities for injury or damage as a result of an
incident which is caused by the ownership of an animal
when the incident occurs beyond the boundaries of the site.

the growth of common property insurance has been strangled in WA mainly because we dont accept "air stratas" like the east coast, we still run off 'part lots' etc.

thats why someone like RAC can easily navigate the strata titles act.

this is earmarked to change, but then, it has been for the last decade.

Back