compare driveway laying costs

Can anyone help with their experience in costs of laying driveways.
Bricks, pavers, and aggregrates.
Which is the dearest and a rough estimate of laying costs for each.
I am guessing that bricks would be the most expensive to buy than paving.
But i have no idea about laying.
How much is the exposed aggregate to buy and lay?
i would really appreciate this info - thanks heaps and have a lovely evening

I'm about to do an aggregate driveway (ie, gravel) and it'll cost $90 but that's uncompacted, just schlopping down some gravel where the car goes like everyone else in the street has done. I'll be scraping off the lovely dark topsoil first to get it down to the compacted layer underneath - not a big job; shovel and a wheelbarrow and a few hours.

first I need to spend some $$ to remove a large fig tree that is currently in the way ..

depending on what look you want, but there are a few cheaper options. You mentioned the aggregate, crushed rock, which is just blue metal rocks.
There are other types , have you thought of tuscan toppings or even lilydale toppings.
Fairly easy to do. Hire someone with a bobcat , get them to dig the driveway out and they will take the soil away,you need probably to go down at least 100mm..or hire it yourself and do it. once then use some jarrah edging which can be easily bendable and stake in then you get your choice of design and it keeps it all nice and neat.
Then if its flat, mark it out, get the choice delivered, and spread it over the ground. start at the top and get a piece of timber, put a level on it, screed in a flat level part, then work from that level down the driveway. get a compactor and go over it, but before doing that, just sprinkle it with water to wash it, then compact it. Then wash off..lilydale toppings are good for that and once washed, there are all different types of colurs in this and quite nice and easy looking.once done, get some of the soil and neaten the edging up where the timber is for borders...done! and cheap and solid.

The stones will be a lot cheaper than other methods as RumpledElf has shown. I just put down some river stones on my drive in between the old concrete strips just to make it look bit better. It cost about $50 roughly as I just used left over stones from some other landscaping. I also had a bit of road base and compacting sand that I put down in layers first.

Pavers can look good but you will need to hire experts unless you know how to do a good job yourself. They will also put down layers of road base and compacting sand and level it all out which can be quite tricky. They will also have paver cutting machines etc to put in half size ones when needed although you can do it with a brick splitter and a hammer. Pavers will cost a bit too but it will be mainly the labour that will cost you. I can't give an exact cost but I would guess at least a few thousand for an average driveway for overall cost.

Concrete will be cheaper and you can get colours mixed in and even have fake paver look. The benefit of concrete is there is less work, weeds won't ever grow through and it's solid. Sometimes pavers can move years down the track if they were not laid properly or your land has a sandy base.

Depends where you live, really. Heaps of houses here have that white quartz as driveways, or blue crusher dust, or just road base gravel.

You might want to check with council if they'll *let* you do something that isn't 'fancy', especially if every other house in your street has a concrete or paved driveway.

thanks

thanks, this is heaps more useful than getting advice from the builders and supply companies etc. Lots of food for thought. we are also looking at exposed aggregate concrete if we can afford it. It looks classy !

Just curious, what would be the approximate cost per M2 to do a plain reinforced concrete driveway (based on about 120M2/ 3M wide)?

thanks, this is heaps more useful than getting advice from the builders and supply companies etc. Lots of food for thought. we are also looking at exposed aggregate concrete if we can afford it. It looks classy !

Just be sure you specify the rounded "river pebble" stones to go in the aggregate, sometimes they use sharp stone chips that are difficult to walk on barefoot.
Marg

Just curious, what would be the approximate cost per M2 to do a plain reinforced concrete driveway (based on about 120M2/ 3M wide)?
Last concrete one we did cost $44, highest quote was about $60, most quotes around $50-$55.

Paving was twice that.

cheers
Graeme

Back