compensation? faulty oven

Would you say yes to compensation? I personally think no way

2 weeks without oven now, under warranty,
initallly a paid electrician has gone out to diagnose
warranty claim submitted,
still waiting for someone from company to sort it
I suspect another week

In Vic cooking services are essential, meaning 24 hours to action - not necessarily fixed, but it needs to be done quickly.

3 weeks is not reasonable, and the tenant has a right to seek compensation.

If they still have hotplates, less compensation. If they have nothing, compensation of meals for that 3 weeks - which gets expensive.

If they have nothing, compensation of meals for that 3 weeks - which gets expensive.
Exactly. If they're willing to accept only $100 per week, or similar, TMNT should jump at it, before they're motivated to find out what they're really entitled to. :eek:

Which insurance company or stove brand name or retailer is taking so long ?
Tenant has entitlements from you, and sounds like you have entitlements from the supplier , insurance co or retailer. Got any more details for us ?
Every day makes you look worse as a landlord, might be worth considering buying anything that can be installed today and changed over later.
Good luck
Cheers
crest133

What is your objection to having to pay compensation TMNT? The tenant has leased the property with the expectation that the stove works - it doesn't.

Would you prefer that they decide that not being able to cook is an emergency and rush out tk buy a new stove spending your money without control (set limits apply under the lease ).

How much is the stove worth? How much compensation is the tenant seeking and will it be cheaper to buy another stove and tell the supplier of the first to shove it?

How long before the tenant decides that you're useless and doing nothing about their situation before they vacate and break the lease for not undertaking repairs? What's that hoing to cost in downtime?

Rant over.

ooh, looks like im not getting much sympathy here:eek:

anyway, id like to think im reasoanble,

i am prepared to offer compensation, I just wanted to see what everyones view was.

I rent and the a few months ago the toilet refused to flush, they sent out 3 plumbers, 2 for a quote and one to do the job and something was wrong with the plumbing and overall it took 3 weeeks, I saw the owners doing their best to rectify the situation and just chalked it up to "stuff happens"

Ive already paid for an electrician to diagnose it, and then have pronto got the manufacturer to submit a work order for fixing it. I think ive done as much as I possibly can,

anyway, will take into consideration the comments here, oh and the hot plates on top are working

I think ive done as much as I possibly can
You may have, but that's not really relevant. Lots of landlords think this way about repairs, but it's really wrong-headed thinking. The tenants have contracted to have certain facilities, and landlords contract to provide them. We don't contract to "try to" provide them, or "do my best to provide them"; we contract to provide them.
TMNT said:
anyway, will take into consideration the comments here, oh and the hot plates on top are working
The hot plates working does make it less serious, for sure; I was picturing that they had no cooking facilities. If they ask for compensation, maybe $20 to $40 per week should be enough.

The hot plates working does make it less serious, for sure; I was picturing that they had no cooking facilities. If they ask for compensation, maybe $20 to $40 per week should be enough.

Yeah I agree with this - that sounds about right. At least they've been able to cook during this time.

Yeah I agree with this - that sounds about right. At least they've been able to cook during this time.

well the interesting thing is that ive been told by the agent is that this person is either a former baker or really passionate about baking.

so its more of an invconvenience to them then usual, but once again, how is that my problem

well the interesting thing is that ive been told by the agent is that this person is either a former baker or really passionate about baking.

so its more of an invconvenience to them then usual, but once again, how is that my problem

Its your problem because your tenants have lost use of a part of the premises they are renting. Admittedly, its quite a small part, but its not insignificant when we're talking about a residential dwelling.

So legally its probably more of a "partial lost use of premises" claim rather than "compensation" per se.

I guess its similar to if the tenants lost use of a whole room, or half the property, but on a much smaller scale. It doesn't necessarily have to be that the landlord has done anything "wrong" for the claim to still exist, and for rent to be reduced.

If you hadn't been taking reasonable steps to repair the issue, you would be in further breach of the agreement and the tenant might be entitled to more actually.

Don't forget if you have applied for a warranty fix this will take AGES.

I had such an issue and the repair agent came next day and rather than repair and fiddle about it was replaced then and there. I had a Harvey Norman replacement warranty at a very minor additional cost. Same deal with Good Guys and others too. A minor investment in my view for any IP owner.

Well, then you should just buy a new oven?
not sure where you could come close to getting a new oven removed, delivered and installed for $200

Could you buy them one of these instead with the option they get to keep it after their tenancy? (ie if its that breaks, its not something included as part of the lease).

https://www.sunbeam.com.au/Cooking/Compact-Ovens/CO3000-NutriOven-Convection-Oven.aspx

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/brev...gclid=CPm3zprVlcYCFVQHvAodk6wAcg&gclsrc=aw.ds

last time I bought a mini heater for a tenant as a backup while their new one was being installed, they took off with it too

Back