Compensation from property manager

Hello all.

I have recently had some tenants vacate the rental property.

We went in to do some minor touch up/maintenance as we do with our properties every couple of years in between tenants.

When we had been recently, we had noticed that the shower screen was cracked.

We had raised is with the property manager as to us, it had appeared that the recently departed tenants had damaged the shower screen.

The property manager then advised that the tenants had not damaged the shower screen as it was noted on the condition report.

Now this annoyed me as a renovation of the bathroom was completed about5 or 6 years ago and it wasn't picked up by the property manager at that time.

I had explained to the property manager that I wasn't too happy with their service as I would expect that this sort of thing would have been picked up as per the service agreement.

So she responds with this:
Also following up on the cracked shower screen. We have had a quote which has stated that it will cost $236.36 + gst*to replace. As the shower screen is at least 10 years old VCAT would depreciate this over 7 years and not award any costs due to the age. However as a prior property manager did miss this on the vacating towards the end of 2006 and as you are valued clients we would like to offer $104 compensation towards the cost or replacing it.*
Generally when the tenants vacate, the agent organises new tenants and we don't go to the property unless we intend to renovate etc every couple of years.

What are your thoughts on the property managers response?

It's not a great deal of money but it is the principal. If it were picked up as it should havd it would have been replaced by the tenant.

I'm more annoyed at her mention of VCAT and depreciation. I don't suppose if I threw a rock at the agency glass window, would VCAT award costs based in depreciation?

Anyways your thoughts and comments on this would be great.

P.S Dazz, no need to explain the pitfalls of this property being resi.

.....As the shower screen is at least 10 years old VCAT would depreciate this over 7 years and not award any costs due to the age.

We had a tenant some years ago that left theirchild/children draw in biro on a timberlook vinyl floor. Because it was left for so long, it was impossible to remove. The Tribunal only awarded costs to us as LL's on a depreciated $value.

If you have been happy with all other aspects of their management, you may just have to wear this one.

At least they have offered part compensation. You could try for a furtehr reduction.

I agree with ozsupra,

Take the money from the Property managers - get them to make a claim from your insurance - depending on your excess - maybe the property managers might fork out the balance?

Back