compensation from tenants for damage to floor boards

Gday all

When it comes to damages from tenants and an amount as compensation for repairs is required, where it's not a simple fix or replace. How do you or your property managers come up with a value?

Tenants are just vacating and have scratched the floor boards, which were sanded and stained only 2-3 years ago. The tenants are offering $75 and the property manager is asking me if I'm happy or have a figure that i see fit. Personally i want the property manager to tell me! Not me and them haggle for it

What are your thoughts when it comes to compensation

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-27-07-50-59.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-27-07-50-59.png
    333.6 KB · Views: 269
If it's not malicious damage then I think what ever (monetary value) you get from the tenant is what you are ahead by. As frustrating as it seems, landlord's just have to grin and bear it as wear n tear when its not intentional damage .

However if its proven as deliberate malicious, that's entirely different and one perspective why we take out Landlord Insurance.

Ah yes good point!

But would you expect the property manager to say that's fair. Or are they thinking along your lines of wear and tear, and if i want then to fight for more

I would take whatever is offered. I believe that you wouldn't have a hope of getting more by taking it to tribunal. My parents got nothing for scratches so much worse than that. They got the whole bond, but it was for other damage.

The floorboards got them nothing extra.

The house we've just done had general wear and tear to the boards, nothing major, but general wear and light scratches all over. With fresh paint, they were going to look shabby so we had our sander do a buff up with a flyscreen-like buffing pad and one coat. They came up beautifully.

Cost well under $1K for the whole house.

Bob

If it ends up in dispute it will likely be classified as wear and tear.

we normally negotiate with tenant to pay a small amount in compensation as it is difficult to charge them for entire polishing - it will not get through any tribunal or reconciliation conference.

I would say - take $100 to $150 and leave at that.

do not polish floors for next tenant.

Bob

If it ends up in dispute it will likely be classified as wear and tear.

we normally negotiate with tenant to pay a small amount in compensation as it is difficult to charge them for entire polishing - it will not get through any tribunal or reconciliation conference.

I would say - take $100 to $150 and leave at that.

do not polish floors for next tenant.

Yrs that's what i was thinking. I wouldn't go to tribunal and have received compensation before but the pm has arranged. How do you landlords cross check the amount?

I'd think you would want a couple of hours labour plus some materials, so around the 100-150 mark too

Cost up the entire job and get them to pay a portion of it so that it sounds fair.

If entire floor is around $700 to polish, if they pay $150 it sounds like you are being reasonable - negotiate it that way.

As others have said, fair wear and tear. It is almost impossible to live with polished floorboards for 2-3 years without marks appearing.

Our current house has floorboards and even with every piece of furniture having the special anti scratch pads on the feet marks still appear occasionally when the furniture moves.

Its all done now. I Put it onto the PM if they were happy with the amount and they since went back asking for $100. the tenants ok'd it, so its a done deal. Im heading off to buy some magic beans and retire like I always wanted!:D

Back