Competent Concreters in Brisbane?

Well, it's time to make some space in our shoebox sized PPOR and build a patio.

The first thing I need is the concrete pad. After contacting three concreters, I'm beginning to get the shivers.

The first one to arrive for a quote was wearing a totally torn shirt and looked like he'd been through a shredder. Adimttedly, the shirt was clean :D . He was punctual and provided me with a written quote, as promised, the next day.

However, a search for his licence on BSA revealed that while he had a carpenters licence, which does permit concreting, he did not have a specific concreters licence. Hmmmm....

The second bloke not to arrive, made a time to meet with me on Saturday, but then rang on that same morning saying that he was going fishing. I pressed him to come first thing Monday morning. He is licensed and I've seen his name around. Still.... hmmmm.....

Third bloke came on the appointed day and time, wearing a clean shirt since it was very early and he was on his way to his first job of the day. I promised a faxed written quote that same night. No fax. But he rang next morning with the quote and said he'll fax. It is now Sunday night and still no fax. He is a licenced concreter since 1994. Have yet to ask for references and sites to look at. He's my best bet so far, but ..... I wish these guys were more professional! :(

Does anyone know a concreter who might be servicing the Manly area, and who has proven himself to be competent and reliable with this work? If so, please PM me or phone on 0414 303 550.

Thanks!

Desto,
Sorry I can't help you. However I am interested in what is being quoted for concreting. Can you please tell me what is being charged per square metre.

Thanks
Unit

Hi Unit,

Well, I did finally get hold of a licensed, experienced and humanly acceptable concreter. Actually, I hope he will do a good job because I can then recommend him to the company that is putting up my patio. They also said that concreters are a difficult lot - being polite I think :D

OK, the quotes that I've had are around $60 psqm for plain concrete and $75 for stenciled. I did have a quote for $130 psqm :eek:

I checked the rates with ArchiCentre building costs guidelines. Since I could only find an old version of 2001 through Google, I used it as a starting point only. But even then the costs for plain brush finish concrete was $60 psqm in Brisbane. So, it appears not to have changed much... oddly.

With the above quotes keep in mind that the area is quite straighforward BUT the concrete would have to be wheelbarrowed from the front of the house to the back - about a 10 m run. The $75 price includes stencilling and excavating to level the ground.

Hope this helps.

Back