Computer techy question :)

Situation:
At home here I have ADSL and a wireless setup. My printer (a brother MFC) is part of the network. I do not have a permanent PC here, just my laptop which connects wirelessly (to both the internet and the printer/fax)

I am going to the US in Feb...is it possible to send a job to my printer remotely? Everything I find on google seems to want a PC in the middle to connect to.

Thanks in advance

accessing the printer from inside your local net is different to outside
outside requires being able to access using http, which is not enabled for most home accounts
it can be evaded by using a free service like dydns.org to connect to your home ip
the router has to be configured to allow access, instructions are likely in the docs somewhere

so it is possible but I dunno exactly how for your particular printer router setup
I can print in a basement 10 miles away from here

Moyjos - Iwanted to know what are u trynig to achieve with the remote printing setup?
Am I correct in understanding ur predicament - U r travelling to the US and u r interested in printing 'stuff' in QLD?

youi need to be able to vpn into your adsl router/modem which will create a "virtual private network" so you have a tunnel from your laptop across the internet into you home network that is secure and no one else can access.

You need to see if your adsl router supports vpn and then work out how to set it up.

Why do you need to print from the USA back to home?

Cheers
Graeme

I'd discourage printing on a machine when no one is home.
If the printer has a mechanical malfunction when printing, you wouldn't know, and all print jobs sent thereafter don't get printed.

Better to email stuff to yourself, or email/fax to an mbox account.....and print when home.

In the harsh light of day, most stuff printed doesn't need to be.

Print to a pdf with free tools like cutepdf, primopdf etc.

Much easier, and can be hardcopied later if absolutely necessary.

Cheers,

The Y-man

yes I need to be able to print while I am away.

I have decided that I will use an email to fax option. (mbox or similar)
(My printer is a Brother MFC so Fax as well!! Looks like it is easier to use the "fax" than the "printer")

Reason for why I need to do this.

I am "admin" for hubby's business.
Just because I am away does not stop stuff coming in that he needs printed.
He does not use the computer (and does not want to :)...and I don't want to learn to use the drill press etc in the factory!!)

I will need to print invoices for him on an almost daily basis. I can get him to ring me OK (with a calling card) then I can just do what needs to be done and print them out for him.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Just because I am away does not stop stuff coming in that he needs printed.

But what is this stuff coming "into" Moy? to your email account on the lappie you'll take with you? or the computer connected to the printer? or what?

If this 'stuff' is going to a computer at home, another option is "remote desktop connection". This allows you to log on to your switched on home computer from any broadband internet connection in the world and run your home computer as if you were sitting at home. Basically, the computer screen you are looking at in say Amsterdam, is YOUR home computer screen. You'd also get to see any printer error messages.

But what is this stuff coming "into" Moy? to your email account on the lappie you'll take with you? or the computer connected to the printer? or what?

If this 'stuff' is going to a computer at home, another option is "remote desktop connection". This allows you to log on to your switched on home computer from any broadband internet connection in the world and run your home computer as if you were sitting at home. Basically, the computer screen you are looking at in say Amsterdam, is YOUR home computer screen. You'd also get to see any printer error messages.

The "stuff" is on my laptop and out of QuickBooks and possibly emails too. There will not be another computer at home.

I have been having a play with efax and it looks like it will work. I will ring my mate in USA later today and get thenm to log in as me and send me a fax to make sure it will work, but I cannot see why it won't :)

Back