Concreted Crazy-pave Recoat

'Evening All,

I have at my PPOR an extensive patio & pool area totally covered in stencilled concrete Crazy Pave or Pattern Pave depending on which state you hail from.

I absolutely hate it and wish to recoat the entire surface if possible. Although the dimensions vary, I have approx 110sqm to cover - all pedestrian traffic, no vehicles.

The existing stencilling is laid into 100mm thick concrete (which I won't be digging out).

I'm seeking comments / suggestions from anyone who has had any experience with various products which may be suitable to cover this hideous eyesore?

My concern is that if a thinnish veneer of concrete is simply laid over the top of existing surface, it may start to fracture in a short period of time. I have considered painting the existing surface, but the pattern would still remain unfortunately.

I've done some searching on the forum already and I note some commentary from people regarding Bistik and Epirez type products.

Appreciate any comments.

Cheers,

Ian.

Thanks Ace,

I didn't think about grinding down the existing surface.

Just going by the Kennards video I would be thinking the twin head 415V machine would be needed, although the 240V unit may be sufficient - I'll contact local hire humpers and see what they say. 415V power supply could be a problem.

Failing going the DIY route, I'll also enquire with local contractors to get their take on the concept.

Cheers!

Ian.

You would have got the Epirez and Bostik recommendation from me :D.

You will need to top 30mm with these epoxy mortar binders, which will be pretty exxy.

Something else that may interest you is Polyaspartics. The old school stuff was good, the the modern stuff is awesome. You could also go epoxy, but not as good.

Disclaimer: I lay all these products.

pinkboy

Yes, indeed Pinkboy; it was from one of your previous posts.

I'm thinking at this early stage of feasibility of grinding off the stencilled surface and seeing what other coatings would work.

I'm just fishing around for ideas at the moment; taking off 30mm wasn't in my plans and would at this stage be ruled out.

My gut feel at the moment is nothing will happen quickly on this front and I may just end up using some form of paint-on product to change the colour from the current patchy/faded black.

I'm always open to ideas though ;)

Cheers!

ian.

My parents just had their pergola tiled over the top of the stencilcrete. I'm not sure of what other options they were given at the time.

We ground it all off and then had terracotta quarry tiles layed.

Looked a treat.

Haven't been back to the property for 10 years so not sure how it's traveled.

Cheers

My parents just had their pergola tiled over the top of the stencilcrete. I'm not sure of what other options they were given at the time.

We ground it all off and then had terracotta quarry tiles layed.

Looked a treat.

Haven't been back to the property for 10 years so not sure how it's traveled.

Cheers

I'll second tiling - at least for some of the area.

There are some really nice outdoor tiles available. I'm currently in love with wood look ones. Check this out

5b5aeb3bee879d468bf5f5147f93bf73.jpg

Afternoon All,

Thanks for all the replies & ideas.

In answer to your questions FF, I hate the colour, the texture, the look and the angles at which some of it has been laid (built up & sloping around pool)?.the whole thing is hideous :(

With the heights in relation to the house albs and roofed patio area, I'm not inclined to deck over the top. At this stage I'm thinking of grinding down the surface to a flat concrete finish and then consider a coloured coating of some description.

Will get a couple of photos and attach them to this thread shortly.

Regardless of final choice, the area is in the order of 110sqm so I am mindful of $$$ needed to resurface too. I'm sure I can do something not too exy but fresh enough to liven the place up a bit.

Cheers,

Ian.

Two photos attached.

Unfortunately pool slopes don't show up well in image but there are two sections which drop 250 - 300 mm, or if looking towards the pool from main patio area, the pool surrounds have been built up that far.

To grind the pattern off and get to a flat concrete surface I would need to grind down approximately 4 - 5 mm across the whole patio & pool areas.

Cheers!

Ian.

Attachments

• Pool Crazy Pave .jpg
    Pool Crazy Pave .jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Patio Crazy Pave.jpg
    Patio Crazy Pave.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 81
Two photos attached.

Unfortunately pool slopes don't show up well in image but there are two sections which drop 250 - 300 mm, or if looking towards the pool from main patio area, the pool surrounds have been built up that far.

To grind the pattern off and get to a flat concrete surface I would need to grind down approximately 4 - 5 mm across the whole patio & pool areas.

Cheers!

Ian.
Hi there, I run a concrete resurfacing company in bendigo Vic, done heaps of these projects, options- grind down the concrete just to take the top off, couple of mm, product we use is elite Crete thin finish to float over the top which fills pattern in back to a flat surface, then we spray our product over the top, which is a non slip, like a sand paper finish, I would suggest look online for spray on concrete or texture pave, have a look on our website to look at what you can end up with www.sprayonconcretetransformations.com.au, cost wise $10-15 m2 to grind maybe do that yourself, but to resurface looking from $30-$60 m2, rip it up to much$$$, paint with pavement paint or colored sealer will fade or flake off, and you done want that because that will cost $ down the track, to retile area as suggested $30-40 m2 to buy tiles then lay them, but spray on great finish product. Cheers mate hope this helps

G'day Joe D., Gillies & All,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Checked out both websites and concept is interesting enough - finished products are actually quite appealing and may be enough to see me head in this direction.

For approx 110sqm @ $30 - 40/sqm (plus initial grinding), it could be a worthwhile $4500 - $5000.

It is after all my PPOR (personal enjoyment) and not a case of over capitalising in the investment.

Will look into local concrete resurfacing companies to see what is available.

Many thanks!

Ian.

Back