Conditioning by my agent

I dont know you from a bar of soap but an agent makes their money on their base salary plus a hefty comission,

Having said that, I have dealt with agents that work for agencies with no commission, just a base salary, and I must say the experience has been underwhelming as a buyer, and I certainly wouldn't use them as a seller.

The Y-man

Having said that, I have dealt with agents that work for agencies with no commission, just a base salary, and I must say the experience has been underwhelming as a buyer, and I certainly wouldn't use them as a seller.

The Y-man

wow, didnt know they existed!

the closest I know/knew is an agent in frankston whom I think was bought out or closed down who had a $6k flat selling fee

If you are employing an agent, you've got to trust them at some stage with the truth of your selling situation, they are your eyes and ears on and in the market. Almost all the information you need to make an educated decision is filtered through them, it's a lot of trust and a privileged position to be in.

If you don't or can't trust agents, either to tell you the truth or to put your goals above a pay day, is it any wonder you will end up choosing an agent on lofty sale price promises alone - a smooth talking high price promising shark.

just don't be surprised if you get bitten.

I guess its the impossible task of determing when an agent quotes you higher then everybody else whether they are suckering you into giving them the listing OR if they are better/more well connected/more reuptable, that they can actually get higher then their competitors or not

I thought everyone knew agents overquote when they are looking for business, and then condition the vendor down afterwards?

I suggest not interviewing agents until you have your own realistic price expectation based on recent comparables. Id suggest ignoring any appraisal the agent gives. In the end its not them thats buying the house, you have your own comparables. Its more important to speak to their existing customers of the agent, investigate the brand, referrals etc.

I guess its like shopping banks on interest rate, its a losing battle telling people interest rate is well down the list of priorities for a good mortgage, everyone just wants the lowest rate......

I thought everyone knew agents overquote when they are looking for business, and then condition the vendor down afterwards?

I really dislike these sweeping generalisations about a whole industry. It is just not right. "Some" agents work like this, others don't.

Despite the title of this thread, it appears the agent was spot-on with his/her assessment of the price the property would actually sell for.
Marg

Back