Confidence in Australian Housing Market

Is now a good time for you to purchase property in Australia?

• Yes

Votes: 59 28.4%
  • In some states,not others

Votes: 74 35.6%
  • No

Votes: 53 25.5%
  • Unsure - so not purchasing

Votes: 22 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A 70k deposit. Fanticiful numbers, just admit that housing is unaffordable and starter is not giving us the whole truth of his 350k loan for a 2 bedder on a graduate salary (most likely a grad salary times 2 plus help from the folks)...

I saved a 70k deposit for my first home, on a graduate salary. It took three and a half years of very simple living. I was earning $29k a year at the start of the saving period, and managed to increase this to about $56k a year by the end of it. I shared a small townhouse miles from anywhere, drove a crappy old car and didn't travel.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

The numbers in the examples above are real. Deal with it.

Can I suggest you ask Santa for a book called "The Little Red Caboose" as clearly you missed this lesson in life when you were a child. You need to change your thinking to "I think I can, I think I can, I know I can". ;)

Trying is the first step towards failure! :D

Can I suggest you ask Santa for a book called "The Little Red Caboose" as clearly you missed this lesson in life when you were a child. You need to change your thinking to "I think I can, I think I can, I know I can". ;)

In the year 2020, thanks to property speculation and continuing 10% growth most children will be so poor they won't be able to afford books anyway.

In the year 2020, thanks to property speculation and continuing 10% growth most children will be so poor they won't be able to afford books anyway.

Or they'll be so rich because their parents ignored the D&G brigade and continued to invest in property anyway. ;)

I saved a 70k deposit for my first home, on a graduate salary. It took three and a half years of very simple living. I was earning $29k a year at the start of the saving period, and managed to increase this to about $56k a year by the end of it. I shared a small townhouse miles from anywhere, drove a crappy old car and didn't travel.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

The numbers in the examples above are real. Deal with it.

The market is easy to get into. I love leader. Never been a better time to invest. Thank you for showing me the light.

You've shown us a whole new way of thinking that we never thought was possible!

As per BB's remark quoted in your post (I cannot see BB's posts anymore as I have vaccinated myself)...............some folk, regardless of being shown where the light is, still fail to realise that they actually have to flick the switch ;) :D

As per BB's remark quoted in your post (I cannot see BB's posts anymore as I have vaccinated myself)...............some folk, regardless of being shown where the light is, still fail to realise that they actually have to flick the switch ;) :D

LOL! I usually go into battle with these kind of ..............(insert appropriate word here), solely because I don't want a scummy D&Ger to rob the dreams of a newbie just starting out. I've only stayed out of it this time because I hadn't read this thread (too many to keep track of these days).

I certainly didn't miss much in the entertainment stakes. I can't be bothered with him this time around. There is only so much crap even I can listen to at one time.

Yes and even when you flick the switch on, sometimes the dimmer is down :D

LOL! I usually go into battle with these kind of ..............(insert appropriate word here), solely because I don't want a scummy D&Ger to rob the dreams of a newbie just starting out.

i'm with you skater. i have a short patience level and can only tolerate someone being shown step by step, fact by fact, how to achieve their expressed desire - only to have them baulk at every step and argue all the way - before i cannot be bothered with them anymore.

if they are not ready to learn the lesson, one might as well be talking to the brick corner.

lead a horse to water and all that jazz.

I would've killed myself if I didn't save up $70k after my grad year... I guess it stands to reason I'm still alive hohoho.

Looks like this place is heading from a glass ceiling to a concrete ceiling again, people on the other side (the bottom one in case you didn't know which one I'm referring to) seem so clueless these days

The market is easy to get into. I love leader. Never been a better time to invest. Thank you for showing me the light.

How much have you saved? In what time period?

The problem's not the market, it's lack of brains and ability.

Last edited by a moderator:

My son is now 9.

Since he was born we have been putting money into an ING account for him to use for a house when he is old enough to buy.

On top of that, he has been receiving pocket money each week since he was 5, and he gets one dollar per year of life. He is now up to $9 per week.

Out of that money he has to give me back 20% to put towards his house saving account. He knows he is not allowed to spend it on anything else but his first house. He can spend the rest.

His training in adopting the right mindset towards saving and investing has already started. He knows we own a few houses and receive rent from them, so he is already aware of the possibilities.

He has a long way to go, but at 9 years old I knew none of what he knows.

Now, imagine how all kids might turn out if their investing knowledge was like this?

Sorry Beebop; you have no credibility on this site with your silly statements.

In the year 2020 my son will be 19, and IF there was a major property crash like you predict, he would be ready to buy some very, very cheap properties.

Will you be?

In 1987 there was scepticism when the former Labor Prime Minister, Bob Hawke said, "by 1990 no Australian child will be living in poverty". This did not ring true (to me) when he said it........and your comment above even less so.:rolleyes:

In 1987 there was scepticism when the former Labor Prime Minister, Bob Hawke said, "by 1990 no Australian child will be living in poverty". This did not ring true (to me) when he said it........and your comment above even less so.:rolleyes:

Did Beebop really say that, I mustn't have been paying attention.

You know what my forecast is Beebop, your attitude is going to cost you ten wasted years of your life, plus however long it takes to to recover from any damage it causes. If I were you I wouldn't make any life setting decisions till you can see how your forecasts are panning out.

The way I look at it is that if i invest now, and I'm not careful and things go wrong, I may waste some years. But if I don't invest now, I will waste some years regardless.

In all the great adventure stories the hero knows that the story of the world includes the hero's certain demise. But the hero forges ahead anyway because he also knows that his story includes his own certain success.

My son is now 9.

Since he was born we have been putting money into an ING account for him to use for a house when he is old enough to buy.

On top of that, he has been receiving pocket money each week since he was 5, and he gets one dollar per year of life. He is now up to $9 per week.

Out of that money he has to give me back 20% to put towards his house saving account. He knows he is not allowed to spend it on anything else but his first house. He can spend the rest.

His training in adopting the right mindset towards saving and investing has already started. He knows we own a few houses and receive rent from them, so he is already aware of the possibilities.

This is a fantastic education for your boy! He's already becoming familiar with 'banking', saving & investing. Great work Bayview:D

Yes, saving is better than borrowing. I will save the entire amount of a house in 3 years because that is feasible. Never been a better time to buy.

Back