Confused by Article with Regards to R&M

http://apimagazine.com.au/api-onlin...ail&utm_term=0_79db3dfa2b-32478b322e-84471441

Confused where Bruce Crichton writes the following:

If emergency maintenance issues arise, the tenant should call the owner/property manager immediately and then follow up with a written report.
Agree.

If the owner and/or primary agent are unavailable to answer an emergency maintenance request, tenants have the right to contact the nominated repairer directly.
OK

If the owner/agent or the nominated repairer can't be contacted, the tenant can arrange for a suitably qualified person to carry out the repairs.

Here is the confusing bit for me.

The tenant shouldn't carry out the repairs without written permission of the owner/agent.

Is this not a contradiction?

http://apimagazine.com.au/api-onlin...ail&utm_term=0_79db3dfa2b-32478b322e-84471441

Confused where Bruce Crichton writes the following:

Agree.

OK

Here is the confusing bit for me.

Is this not a contradiction?
I'd imagine 'repairs' relates to ' not urgent repairs'
We rented a fairly dodgy place that was given to us with no power and only a couple of light globes working once they sorted power out. In the dark in the garage while hubby was trying to open garage he pressed a reverse switch on roller door before finding button to open. It stuffed up the door and it wouldn't open. We had to call someone out as agency was shut and we needed use of car but later got re-imbursed.

The legislation in VIC at least allows that should the agent /landlord not be contactable or not take action on the repairs in a suitable amount of time then the tenant can arrange their own repairs up to the value of $1800 and seek reimbursement. :).

Tenant can organise emergency repairs for what are classed as essential services like problems with power, water, cooking and heating. If unable to contact agent/owner than they can organise emergency repairs. eg burst hot water tank

Occasionally the law shows some signs of commonsense. This scenario creates an opportunity for the tenant to act in the case of arranging emergency repairs when the nominated people can't be contacted. As it should be too !! :)
Cheers
crest133

Back