:confused: Do you pay commission to MB to get a loan

I went to see a mortgage broker for our first IP.

I told I am looking for a 200K property, he said its hard to get 100% loan because we recently bought PPOR (300K, 230K outstanding) he advised for 95% IO loan fixed for 3 or 5 years. He asked $1000 as his commission for getting me a loan.

I am surprised :( I never heared this before paying commission to a MB!!. Bank pay them commission, don't they?

Last edited:
find a different mortgage broker.
unless you were confused, and he basically said that's how much commission he'd get ?

Hi apk

The answer is: It depends!

You may have approached a broker who has access to lenders which do not pay a referral commission, and therefore the borrower pays the broker.

The mortgage broker is not an agent for a particular lender unless specified to you, eg a Mobile Lender acting for a particular bank or other lender, and mobile lenders are usually restricted to dealing with only that brand. Mobile Lenders are not brokers

A mortgage broker usually has a panel of lenders and they are remunerated, usually by way of commission, for introducing a customer to a lender. After settlement of the loan the broker is paid.

However, some customers do not fit the usual pattern or lending criteria and the broker may have access to some alternative lenders which do not pay them a commission. In that case, the broker may charge the customer for the introduction.

Without more information from you it is not possible to say whether the broker you have approached is charging you ‘their usual fee’ or requesting something extra.

If you are not happy with their services then use another broker.

In 2002 I wanted to do a small property development. I was going to work full time on the project, hence would not qualify with the ‘usual’ lenders as I would not have any income during the course of the project, plus I had no track record in development. Few lenders would provide venture capital for such a small project in those circumstances.

The broker I went to was able to source appropriate funds for me, and charged me 1% brokerage plus administration costs. The interest rate on the loan was also increased to pay him a monthly trailing commission. I was more than happy to pay these fees as without his expert help I would not have got the loan for the project.

However, now that I am a broker myself, I have never charged anybody anything, no matter how complex the deal. Over the years I have, on a couple of occasions, referred customers to the lender which lent me the money in 2002 for the development project, but have chosen to not charge for this referral even though the lender has not paid me a commission. In other words, my customer benefited from my expert knowledge simply from doing business with me.

Each customer is different, each deal is different, and circumstances change.

There is no ‘rule’ about charging a customer a commission and there is no ‘rule’ which says that a broker may not be paid by both the borrower and the lender.

Some brokers charge, others don’t, so you must make your own decision as to whether you want to deal with that broker now that you know their fee for service.

Cheers

Kristine

Hiya

Quite unusual............

ta
rolf

Double dipping I would say

Exactly, I heard some even pay you to get a loan using them it was on today tonight some time ago, I think its refundhomeloans.

The one I met not even asked about my income before working out the options for 200K IO loan.

When he asked for $1000 commission, I asked him how this $1000 commission will make me eligible? He said that he will bend the paper accordingly for me to fit any lender. It doesn't make sense to me but I don't want to argue wasting my time I cut short my discussion and left his office.

When he asked for $1000 commission, I asked him how this $1000 commission will make me eligible? He said that he will bend the paper accordingly for me to fit any lender.

Aaah, this is a whole different story.

So is your question about paying someone for a professional service, or about colluding with someone on a perhaps, false or misleading application?

As with most questions, it is the background to the question which prompts the answer.

Now that you have explained a bit more, your original question takes on a different meaning.

Cheers

Kristine

So is your question about paying someone for a professional service, or about colluding with someone on a perhaps, false or misleading application?

As with most questions, it is the background to the question which prompts the answer.

Now that you have explained a bit more, your original question takes on a different meaning.

Cheers

Kristine

I went to MB to find whether I can borrow 200K or not? given the situation that I am a IT consultant work on contract basis (I am in a six month contract now, even I was in contract when I bought my PPOR, the bank happy to lend me 85% without any problem) nothing other than that.

Hope I explained it more clear now.

Back