Construction Certificate - Council or Private Certifier?

I have managed to get initial approval on some plans that I had to separate a 4 bedroom house into a dual occupancy in Hills area NSW.

The previous owner had also put in a carport without informing the council which was picked up during their inspection when I applied for the dual occupancy. So I have applied to get the building certificate and I am close to get it certified by the council.

From here what I need to do is to separate the internals of the house which includes building fire rated walls between the two dwellings, putting in some fencing to separate the private open space, put in a new kitchenette in the new occupancy, put walls, doors and windows etc.

I can get the construction certificate for the above either through the council or through the private certifier.

Are there any pros and cons in terms of the cost and efforts/ ease of service involved in using one compared to the other?

Any recommendations if I was to use a private certifier in the area?

I have managed to get initial approval on some plans that I had to separate a 4 bedroom house into a dual occupancy in Hills area NSW.

The previous owner had also put in a carport without informing the council which was picked up during their inspection when I applied for the dual occupancy. So I have applied to get the building certificate and I am close to get it certified by the council.

From here what I need to do is to separate the internals of the house which includes building fire rated walls between the two dwellings, putting in some fencing to separate the private open space, put in a new kitchenette in the new occupancy, put walls, doors and windows etc.

I can get the construction certificate for the above either through the council or through the private certifier.

Are there any pros and cons in terms of the cost and efforts/ ease of service involved in using one compared to the other?

Any recommendations if I was to use a private certifier in the area?

Private Certifier every time. Ease of service... ;-)

Back