construction of a boarding house in sydney

I wasn't talking about you actually buying it. Just ring the agent talk prices now and when completed, returns and get there package sent to you. Also ask them if they've had the build priced. This will get you some good intel for your project.

They architect or design mob they used maybe a great win as well.

True, good idea bro. Thanks for that, might ring them lunch time

I wasn't talking about you actually buying it. Just ring the agent talk prices now and when completed, returns and get there package sent to you. Also ask them if they've had the build priced. This will get you some good intel for your project.

They architect or design mob they used maybe a great win as well.

This one is sold three, four month ago, and agent refuse to tell the sold price, which is understandable.
Two storey floor plan, with 4 car parking space under ground. Two buildings permitted, each has 7 or 8 self contained studios.
The construction cost approx 1.8 million. Does any one know if underground car park would be really expensive?
But still, felt 1.8 is a lot more expensive then I thought it would be....

Underground parking should be avoided if possible ($$$$$). There is a small block built at the bottom of Grosvenor Cres Summer Hill (Ashfield Council) and another on Old Canterbury Rd Hurlstone Park. Neither have underground parking. The Summer Hill site has two parking spaces, ambo space, bike spaces, Hurlstone Park has RLA, don't know how many spaces.

Underground parking should be avoided if possible ($$$$$). There is a small block built at the bottom of Grosvenor Cres Summer Hill (Ashfield Council) and another on Old Canterbury Rd Hurlstone Park. Neither have underground parking. The Summer Hill site has two parking spaces, ambo space, bike spaces, Hurlstone Park has RLA, don't know how many spaces.

Went to council today, spoke to a town planner. So far so good. :)

Fsr: according to the planner, my land should be 1:1 which is really good

Height limit: 8.5 meters max, means do blue storey is possible

Set back: no regulation sets the standard for boarding house yet, which means it is more flexible if I apply now, but planner said new boarding house control will be out mid next year, so I guess will have to be quick on getting DA approved to avoid that then.

Submission: neighbors against the DA, doesn't affect council on their decision making, it is more whether this DA comply with all the regulations and rules
Which is a relieve for me as well. Planner said once they got about 1000 signature on submission going agaisnt a DA but it still got approved.
I guess it's all up to my town planner/architect to come up with a complied plan.

0.2 car parking space for every room we have.

Yeah, I agree, will avoid underground car parking.
With the set back regulation blank on boarding houses, we could take some advantage on that and make the car parking all set on the front. That's just my guess, will know when I talk to the town planner.

:)

Height limit: 8.5 meters max, means do blue storey is possible

Set back: no regulation sets the standard for boarding house yet, which means it is more flexible if I apply now, but planner said new boarding house control will be out mid next year, so I guess will have to be quick on getting DA approved to avoid that then.

0.2 car parking space for every room we have.

Height - you may even get 3 storeys with a reasonably flat roof.

Setback/parking - 12 units will require 3 parking, no mention of visitor space/disabled/ambulance space.

When is the new DCP due out? Is it on display? Has it been submitted for ministerial approval?

hi Belmore,

how did you go with your boarding house search any luck?

market in sydney is going wild and insanely expensive so is it worth to buy?

BG

Hi

Not sure how your going with the boarding house project but here's a few hints.

1. There are grants available for boarding house ( it's limited now and i think there's plan to axe it or reduce the amount around mid this year...so get in quick!

http://www.housing.nsw.gov.au/Centr...e+housing/Boarding+house+-+New+supply+grants/)

From exp some of our clients has gotten around $5,000 per boarding room...better than nothing :p

2. Make sure the numbers stack up....are you planing on keeping this for rental yield or selling it off? ( it's not easy to sell...- look at the price and demand if you sold as a boarding house VS a new luxury house etc...)

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real...e-homes-for-2014/story-fncq3era-1227200605515

:p

3. Make sure you have the funding capacity...this is a commercial loan...and to a point a specialized commercial development loan as well...should you only finish half the project- it be VERY HARD for the bank to sell this project off.

No point you spending 2-5k on all these checks and realize the bank is not gonna fund you.:eek:

hi Belmore,

how did you go with your boarding house search any luck?

market in sydney is going wild and insanely expensive so is it worth to buy?

BG

Yeah mate, it is so expensive now in the inner west, also don't even need to mention, the inner city. These area have great number of population but I just can not afford to buy one in such area.

But from my point of view if I can get approval for a new boarding house in the west where has convenient public transport with 20rooms, this is still worth it.

Hi

Not sure how your going with the boarding house project but here's a few hints.

1. There are grants available for boarding house ( it's limited now and i think there's plan to axe it or reduce the amount around mid this year...so get in quick!

http://www.housing.nsw.gov.au/Centr...e+housing/Boarding+house+-+New+supply+grants/)

From exp some of our clients has gotten around $5,000 per boarding room...better than nothing :p

2. Make sure the numbers stack up....are you planing on keeping this for rental yield or selling it off? ( it's not easy to sell...- look at the price and demand if you sold as a boarding house VS a new luxury house etc...)

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real...e-homes-for-2014/story-fncq3era-1227200605515

:p

3. Make sure you have the funding capacity...this is a commercial loan...and to a point a specialized commercial development loan as well...should you only finish half the project- it be VERY HARD for the bank to sell this project off.

No point you spending 2-5k on all these checks and realize the bank is not gonna fund you.:eek:

Thanks for your reply,
I think the same way with the funding issue, so my plan is:
1. Get the land that I desire first,
2. Get the council approval,
3. Test the plan with many builders or see if the option of me building it is possible, if the price is too dear to build by my own funds, i will then seek funds from bank,
4. If the bank won't lent the money, I'll then sell the place with the approved DA.
By then I should know if I am capable of finishing this project by my own resources.

:)

Yeah mate, it is so expensive now in the inner west, also don't even need to mention, the inner city. These area have great number of population but I just can not afford to buy one in such area.

But from my point of view if I can get approval for a new boarding house in the west where has convenient public transport with 20rooms, this is still worth it.

Is it somewhere close to Ashfield ;-)
I've seen one and almost rent one room there for myself, but I ended up living in a granny flat in Ryde.

everyone gets their own toilet? the idea sounds good. but will it work in practice? how will you share the water bill? it's covered in the rent?

if the toilet is in a private area and not shared common area how do you know if the boarders are not spamming the water? you would need to treat them like gods if you don't they will make you pay...

Back