Contract Madness

Is this kind of carry on normal or is the owner of the place I want a bit nuts and their lawyers silly?

Owner wanted an "official" offer to buy in writing - not just the email I'd said with the conditions (14 day finance, a building/pest inspection clause) and he wanted all the conditions in legal speak so I had to get my lawyers to do up a more official version of my email offer and then she drafted a few other special conditions she does as standard to try and save time. His lawyer goes, oh, great, put in their own standard special conditions, then my lawyers after that so I have for example two clauses dealing with failure to settle - one under the other. Nuts. Lawyer points out all the mess of contradictions and they go to fix that. It took them two weeks to get to the stage of sending me a contract after I put in the offer only to get the double clauses on everything.

Then we see other lawyer has taken out all building and finance clauses and insisting no one ever signs a contract with a building and finance clause. Then argues that it's been 14 days since I sent them the official lawyer letter so I'm out of time anyhow. Grrrr. Then the owner is all up in arms about why on earth wouldn't a building inspection be done before going to contract anyhow and I'm wasting time. And why do I even need a finance clause?

I have explained what I think is reasonable - my offer was made subject to conditions that now don't appear in contract, I have been waiting to sign a contract for two weeks now and I wouldn't do a B&P inspection while waiting as I wasn't convinced the contract was actually coming so I'd waste money. And that I can't sign without a finance clause as the bank needs a signed contract to approve the loan.

I feel like they are attempting to gaslight me with some of the statements flying at me like "Obviously, *everybody's* lawyers would organise a B&P before you have done, you don't understand what you are doing"

Sheesh.

Not normal but it does happen. Stick to your guns. If you need the 14 days for finance/building inspection then don't give it up.

Maybe this is why no one else has bought it :)

Your offer was made with certain conditions, no conditions = no offer

Stay firm or they will try something else on you.

I got the deal done with my conditions! But yes, you were right about trying something else on! I am up doing the building inspection and they have deliberately tried to hide stuff with furniture - like hulking great cracks in the place, and a hole in the floorboards. Nice. Might be going back with the building report to see if I can knock some money off! That's if I don't decide to exit the contract due to the problems!

Back