contract work requiring interstate travel, what can be claimed

Hi all,

My wife and I have been on the road for a few years with work but this year we are having a go with her working, me stay at home dad.

What can we claim come tax time
We were in Qld but now travelled to the west coast. Part of the most recent contract included 900 towards fuel and accom, it cost more so I plan to claim the difference.
some contracts included single accom and if we're lucky family accom in a house. But we'll most likely have to find our own. We have started renting and are getting furniture etc, we came over with our caravan but can't live in it for long periods, ideal for in between contacts and holidays.
Can we claim the rent? Any chance furnishings? I'd think not.

With driving over to what extent can you claim mechanical repairs and servicing? it is essential to get to the next contract, is it a cents/km rate or based on actual work done or parts etc

I'd like to get an understanding before talking with accountant

Also will claim laptop, phone incl internet,

In previous years I have done our tax returns, bit different to this financial year so will have to cop it on the chin

Thanks!

Assuming that you are operating under your own name, you cannot claim repairs under the cents per km method. It is limited to 5,000km.

You can claim a percentage of the repair work if you have a log-book (based on business/work related percentage used per the log-book).

The same principle goes with fuel.

Have a read of this below

http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/help/car1.htm

I would need to know more about your situation to determine if the trip from Queensland to WA is a claimable trip, but from what I understand you are saying I doubt it. Doubtful you will be able to claim rent either but you really need to talk to your accountant about your situation.

Hi all,

My wife and I have been on the road for a few years with work but this year we are having a go with her working, me stay at home dad.

We were in Qld but now travelled to the west coast. Part of the most recent contract included 900 towards fuel and accom, it cost more so I plan to claim the difference.
some contracts included single accom and if we're lucky family accom in a house. But we'll most likely have to find our own. We have started renting and are getting furniture etc, we came over with our caravan but can't live in it for long periods, ideal for in between contacts and holidays.

With driving over to what extent can you claim mechanical repairs and servicing? it is essential to get to the next contract, is it a cents/km rate or based on actual work done or parts etc

In previous years I have done our tax returns, bit different to this financial year so will have to cop it on the chin

Thanks!

Not enough info./

If you are renting it sounds like you have a 'home'. You can't claim the rent. Generally travel between home and work is not deductible. If your wife is self employed (and being a contractor may not necessarily mean she is) she may be able to claim certain travel expenses if the home is the base of operations or carrying equipment.

meals are not generally deductible, but if your wife is away from home over night then they may be.

The rented property is now a home and I thought that was a long shot.

Employed but on a contract basis for set periods of full time work.

I guess it will be trying to clear up the travel part and car expenses

Hi all,

Thanks!

Highly improbable that ANY travel is deductible. The cost of travel to/from work is non-deductible. Its a private cost. In your case its a relocation cost which is non-deductible. (You aren't actually travelling to work - Just a new location for work) A limited exception applies for travel between two jobs. Its normally for where you end one shift with a employer then start work with another job in another suburb b4 you go home. If you are thinking travel allowances etc then that also fails.

Rent is private too.

Tip : Invest in a tax agent. You could end up making large errors otherwise.

We are not relocating we are only here for the duration of the contract then make our way to the next one, temporary accommodation
Perhaps travel isn't the right word, I'm not worried about daily commute to/from work.

We are not relocating we are only here for the duration of the contract then make our way to the next one, temporary accommodation
Perhaps travel isn't the right word, I'm not worried about daily commute to/from work.

That wont change a single thing. NO DEDUCTION is available for relocation, moving , travel etc to fulfil this work contract / employment. Its is a private expense. A private decision made by you to incur the cost. Like childcare, non-protective etc workwear (eg ordinary clothes), immunisations, drivers license, passport etc...All are private- Even for a truck driver and a rigid license.

Back