Contribution/Open Space when subdividing 2 lots

Hi All,

I'm subdividing my block in 2 lots (planning permit have been fully approved) and I remember someone telling me that what can be very expensive contribution or open space fees that go to Council are not applicable for 2 lot subdivisions but are for 3 or more, is that correct?

Pretty sure the above is correct but would be great if anyone can confirm please. For what it's worth it's with Knox Council in Melbourne but if I'm not mistaken I think this is the same anywhere.

My understanding is my costs related to the above are Land Surveyor Fee, Council App Fee for Subdivision, Utilities Fees (Water/Electricity etc), Titles Office and I think that's it from memory. I was told had I subdivided in to 3 lots of more, Council wanted 8% of the land value as contribution/open space from memory but this was not applicable for 2 lot subdivisions I think?

If anyone can confirm that would be great. TIA

I find it hard to believe that the council will permit subdivision and higher density without a contribution (this is definitely not the case in most council areas as granny flats are usually subject to contributions as well ).

The information you need will be in the contributions plan of the Council under multi unit development ie anything more than single houses as defined.

Hi All,

I'm subdividing my block in 2 lots (planning permit have been fully approved) and I remember someone telling me that what can be very expensive contribution or open space fees that go to Council are not applicable for 2 lot subdivisions but are for 3 or more, is that correct?

Pretty sure the above is correct but would be great if anyone can confirm please. For what it's worth it's with Knox Council in Melbourne but if I'm not mistaken I think this is the same anywhere.

My understanding is my costs related to the above are Land Surveyor Fee, Council App Fee for Subdivision, Utilities Fees (Water/Electricity etc), Titles Office and I think that's it from memory. I was told had I subdivided in to 3 lots of more, Council wanted 8% of the land value as contribution/open space from memory but this was not applicable for 2 lot subdivisions I think?

If anyone can confirm that would be great. TIA

All true. 3% is good, 5% I can live with but the 8% Knox want is just too much.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Confirmed with Knox that the "Open Space Contribution" of 8.5% (believe it or not) is only applicable for 3 or more lot subdivisions thankfully - was 90% sure this was correct but not 100%.

Back