Convert a bedroom to a kitchen?

I'm look at an IP with two storeys and 6 bedrooms. There are both 3 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs and downstairs.

I wondered if I could convert a bedroom upstairs to a kitchen so that I can rent the ground floor and upper floor separately? Is there any chance of a Council approval for this? :confused:

Many thanks in advance!

Just in case you were wondering, if council does allow and you do proceed, you will not able to build a granny flat as the site would already have two dwellings (i only posted this because you were asking about granny flats in another thread). If this doesn't apply, then just ignore :)

Thanks for your excellent reply! The IP I am looking at does have granny flat potential, though it's different from the one I asked in the other thread. :rolleyes:

Yes but it would be a very costly excercise fireproofing upstairs from downstairs.

^ ^ that plus it is very difficult to separate the electricity (for separate metering purposes) once a double storey house is already built.

But it still can be done - you'd need to get quotes for fireproofing.

Does anyone know if a five or six bedroom house is easy to rent? :confused: I know others (e.g. 3 bedders) are doing quite okay.

Both supply and demand for a 5 or 6 bedder is smaller, but I am not sure if it's still easy to rent.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Where is it located?
Some areas have predominately 4-5 bedrooms and thats considered the norm.

Other areas have 3 bedders as the norm.

Generally speaking, 5-6 bedders aren't hard to rent out if they are priced at 3 bedders :)
But if you price it too high it becomes a psychological barrier that people aren't prepared to cross.

Where is it located?
Some areas have predominately 4-5 bedrooms and thats considered the norm.

Other areas have 3 bedders as the norm.

Generally speaking, 5-6 bedders aren't hard to rent out if they are priced at 3 bedders :)
But if you price it too high it becomes a psychological barrier that people aren't prepared to cross.

It's in Doonside but the owner has exchanged the contract with someone else. So it doesn't bother me any more.

Back