Convert a garage into a teenage retreat/studio

Hiya

So, i have the plans approved to convert my double garage (36sqm) into a self enclosed studio...

This is a studio for my son in future; for the moment, my nephew is coming from overseas for uni studies and will live in it (like a lodger).

Approval process was easy-peasy...HOWEVER my first quote has come in at 50K:eek: which includes :

a) brick work (change the roller door into a wall) : 3K
b) new window : 4K
c) plastering :6K
d) Carpenter : 6K
e) Timber floor (incl termite proofing) : 5K
f) toilet and laundry: 14K
g) sound insulation: 3K
h) wardrobe, painting, new landing, sink plus etc: 8K

I AM NOT HAPPY:mad:

So i am going to think laterally...the garage wall can be punched into a bedroom...

what if i were to do that, and then
a) install a toilet and shower in the garage
b) lay carpet
c) hubby will attempt to paint walls
d) install a false wall a few m away from roller door (it has another separate backdoor )

Qns:
a) do i need approval from pesky people aka council esp for toilet and shower?
b) will i have to worry about water proofing the floor and termite proofing?
(garage slopes away and hardly gets wet)

2 toilets in a 36sqm teenage retreat might be too much? Unless later down the track you want to convert the already approved toilet/laundry into bathroom/laundry, then in my view may not require further council approval. water proofing is really for your benefit so it doesn't leak water to next room etc but most Council/Private Certifier would need to see water proofing evidence..

I've got some quotes for my 36sqm previously, yes it does come a price tag of $50k, but also included a kitchen and approval fees. Yes a 45sqm 1 bedroom Granny Flat with approval would probably just be $20k more.

Does it really need a toilet and shower? Would this get in the way of converting it back to a garage at a later date? Given the other things you're planning however, it would appear that you're going all the way and making it into a more pemananet retreat.

I've known lots of people (usually with large families), who simply sealed of the garage door, threw down a few rugs, threw some furnature in and told the kids to fend for themselves beyond that door. The kids loved it and it cost next to nothing.

Does it really need a toilet and shower? Would this get in the way of converting it back to a garage at a later date? Given the other things you're planning however, it would appear that you're going all the way and making it into a more pemananet retreat.

I've known lots of people (usually with large families), who simply sealed of the garage door, threw down a few rugs, threw some furnature in and told the kids to fend for themselves beyond that door. The kids loved it and it cost next to nothing.

I spent my formative years in a 3x3 room partitioned off in the back of dad's colorbond garage.

Loss of garage

Hiya

So, i have received another quote : 30K for conversion of garage to teenage retreat with its own bathroom and entrance and pool and garden view :p.

i am now happy:p with price ...

It will be initially for my son but further down the road, when hubby retires and we are off to globe-trot, it can be rented out say 250 per week ...so pretty good return :p

HOWEVER, i am now concerned about impact of valuation of the loss of a garage.

To the VALUERS /Buyers agents :pout there, how much does a garage add/reduce in value roughly? i am thinking of putting in a shed at the back of the garden...

Note: i have plenty of car park space in front of my house to park 3/4 cars...my house is at the end of a cul de sac...plenty of off street parking too...but just no enclosed garage..

I am in Hills area of Sydney....your thoughts esp. if you have/know someone who has done it will be appreciated...

Congrats on getting an acceptable price!

Have heard different things about garage conversions in terms of valuation in different areas so not sure about that. But is there any chance you could keep roller door and put up a stud wall 1m or so in (can use that area as shed then) and use floating floor? That way cost of converting it back if you need to is not much, just take up floor and pull down dividing stud wall.

Valuation speaking - Is the fact that the garage is gone not more than made up for by the fact you now have another bedroom, kitchen, bathroom etc?!

Hiya

So, i have received another quote : 30K for conversion of garage to teenage retreat with its own bathroom and entrance and pool and garden view :p.

i am now happy:p with price ...

It will be initially for my son but further down the road, when hubby retires and we are off to globe-trot, it can be rented out say 250 per week ...so pretty good return :p

HOWEVER, i am now concerned about impact of valuation of the loss of a garage.

To the VALUERS /Buyers agents :pout there, how much does a garage add/reduce in value roughly? i am thinking of putting in a shed at the back of the garden...

Note: i have plenty of car park space in front of my house to park 3/4 cars...my house is at the end of a cul de sac...plenty of off street parking too...but just no enclosed garage..

I am in Hills area of Sydney....your thoughts esp. if you have/know someone who has done it will be appreciated...

Hi Jen

Well done for getting a better quote- I hope it works out for you - does this mean it still has approval though? This may make a difference come sale time (as you no doubt already know) As far as garages go, could you build a carport to the front of the property and box it in with simple blueboard walls or privacy screens to at least provide some solidity? Put in storage boxes along the rear wall to overcome this issue... bit difficult to comment without knowing the layout but if a standalone garage/shed to the backyard solves the problem without sacrificing yard space then that could be viable as well.
Happy renovating/supervising :D

converting a large shed into a gf

Hi Virgo,

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I'm in a similar position you where I have this massive council approved garage about 45 sqm and I want to convert it into a granny flat to generate some income to pay for my mortgage.
I haven't yet started approaching the builders to get any quotes but I wasn't sure if I could just convert it into a gf but after reading through your response it seems that I can convert it into a 1/2 bed gf.

Since you have done this with a reasonable price would you please share the builder's details who did this work for you so that I can contact them to get my one sorted as well? The major issues I see are the conversion of the rolling door into a wall, waterproofing, termite proofing with tiling of floors, bathroom, toilet and laundery with separate gas and electricity metering.

Thanks in advance.

Back