Convert existing Garage to Living Space

We have an existing Garage in the backyard that we want to convert into a Living Space / Granny Flat.

We will eventually build a pool beside it, so we are not looking to rent it out as a granny flat. It will be used as a pool side house (ie good to have basic kitchen facilities and bathroom out near the pool). Eventually our (not yet teenage son) might want to take it over as a teenage retreat so living area and bedroom seem logical.

Land Size: 1306sqm (approx 15m wide x 85m deep)

Garage: 9m x 6m

Side setback is about 1100mm (measured from fence to the brick wall of the garage, overhanging roof is much closer to boundary fence??)

Rear setback is barely 350mm.

We are in the Pittwater LGA.

Zoning - Pittwater Local Environmental Plan 1993:
1(a) NON URBAN A
Blue Hatched Area

Complete renovation novice here. I assume we will need some sort of approval but was wondering if we could do it as some sort of exempt or complying development ?

Have no idea of the cost ??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It has exposed beams. The beams are about 250mm. The ceiling (which is in poor condition and needs replacing) sits about 100mm below the top of the beams (leaving about 145mm exposed).

The height from the top of the beams to the floor is 2400mm so the current ceiling is about 2300mm above the floor.

Can a replacement ceiling be installed at the top of the beams (leaving them fully exposed) and therefore have the ceiling at 2400mm ?

Yes, the ceiling and roof can be raised by adding vertical beams of wood. This will extend the height of the granny flat. You will probably need a structural engineer to check load bearing for the walls and roof.

It may be cost prohibitive and other options may be cheaper. You might want to get some quotes first and see what the total cost may be.

It may be cost prohibitive and other options may be cheaper. You might want to get some quotes first and see what the total cost may be.

Any suggestions on who we might talk to for this sort of thing ?

We are in Sydney (Northern Beaches)

Last edited:
Conversion

Hiya

I got approval to convert a garage to a studio; the first person i talked to was an architect...i think he cost me about 3.5K to draw the plans and file it with a pte certifier ..all up i think about 4.5-5K.

Building quotes are about 40K-50K but that includes a bathroom, insulation, bricking in the garage door, new windows, plasterboard the walls, timber flooring, the works...

PM me if you want the architect's number....he is based in the North Shore

Good luck:p

Back