Converted garage to granny flat without council approval

Hi there,
Is anyone having experience converting detached double garage to granny flat without council approval? I didn't realise that I have to get approval. It's 2 bedrooms, laundry, bathroom and little kitchenette. It's 38 sq. 60% job done, still no water or electricity connection. Council came in and asked me to stop work. Then I got a letter to find BCA, is anyone can recommend what should I do?

Thanks
:confused:

You have 2 problems, you may need planning approval and definitely building approval. Is the garage umr Or detached ? If umr you may need to provide so much undercover parking. From a building code perspective a dwelling or habitabe room has different requirements compared to a garage i.e class 10a garage and 1a dwelling. Requirements that differ include fire rating, footing system, energy efficiency, light and ventilation just to name a few.

I can't see a favourable outcome other than comply or quit. As Datto said you probably made loud construction noise that upset your neighbours.

As above the biggest concern are the concrete slab, height wet area proofing and insulation requirements. It can be done, but a very costly exercise to comply.

3m set back only applies to new build, but for conversion of existing class 10a(garage) to GF/studio(class 1a) can be less than 3m, however fire rating is required, and generally cost to the conversion.

Which suburb are you in? I can recommend someone to help you out... If it is possible.

Could have been worse. Heard of a guy who finished building a top of the line pimp granny flat without approval... right over a Sydney Water easement without using any concrete encasement.

We did an extension to our house and had to get a DA etc through council. We were adding an extra living area by enclosing our carport which was under the main roof of the house. After getting stuffed around by council muppets and blowing up over it taking so long and their incompetance we got to speak to the manager who wanted it signed off and completed as it was dragging on. After talking with him i asked about going ahead without a DA as it was a nightmare for minor work. He said we could have but if someone dobbed us in or sold etc it would need to go through the process still but it didn't sound to bad no fines just the same fees but if anything needed inspecting we Might need to remove gyprock to prove construction methods.

Slightly different to your situation but some big cuddles to the right person at council and it could be reasonably straight forward

Just play dumb like they do!

Maybe try to give us more info such as few photos and from your understanding if some of the biggie requirements are met or not. Some Hills props are posh including their garage and slabs. Slabs may already be class 1a and all is required is a engineering cert cost under 1k, then there are other cost

Back