Converting a shed into a teenagers retreat

Hi guys,

We are looking at converting our shed, which is about 10 sqm in size, into a teenagers retreat, with a bed, desk, wardrobe etc.

The shed is on a slab, has electricity, a window and is a few metres away from the main house.

I was just wondering if we are able to convert our shed into a teenagers retreat and if there are any approvals required?

We currently live in south Australia.

Regards,
Robbie

Hi guys,

We are looking at converting our shed, which is about 10 sqm in size, into a teenagers retreat, with a bed, desk, wardrobe etc.

The shed is on a slab, has electricity, a window and is a few metres away from the main house.

I was just wondering if we are able to convert our shed into a teenagers retreat and if there are any approvals required?

We currently live in south Australia.

Regards,
Robbie

Check with the Town Planning at your local Council.

what would be the best, and most cost effective way, to insulate the shed?

I thought of perhaps attaching sheets of pine to the inside frame and putting some sort of foam between the pine sheets and sheds walls.

Check out the forums over at garagejournal.com for some great inspiration on sheds/garages. They'll have lots of tips for insulating and fitting out your shed conversion.

what would be the best, and most cost effective way, to insulate the shed?

I thought of perhaps attaching sheets of pine to the inside frame and putting some sort of foam between the pine sheets and sheds walls.

I used sisalation paper on the walls and roof. However this was done prior to fixing the sheetwork. You may be able to unscrew the panels and wrap the frame and then screw it back on.

I would also recommend additional insulation bats in the cavity if you plan to line the internal wall

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

I just called my local council, and they didn?t seem to ?strict? with regards to the intentions of the shed i.e. turning it into a teenagers retreat, tv, xbox, bed etc.

He actually brought up the term ?man cave? which many Australians have, but technically they not legal as they are ?habitable? yet they seem to turn a blind eye to it.

The worst case scenario would be a complaint from neighbor which could lead to them having it checked out, then asking me to remove the TV, couch, bed etc. There are no major fines or penalties.

He did suggest to me that my shed is properly ventilated (windows and door), but suggested I put in a smoke alarm? so this seems like a ?grey? area.

Mmmmm.. do I go-ahead or not?

Cheers,
Robbie

I think go for gold and also yes put in smoke alarm ☺️

If the council didn't seem to strict I don't see why there would be an issue

Back