Converting Carport to Bedroom & Ensuite- Perth

Hi All,

I'm looking at converting my PPOR carport which shares the same tiled roof as the house into a bedroom & ensuite.

The carport is a bit over 22SQM
The property is located in Hamersley, I know I'll need Stirling council approval.

Pretty much this involves bricking up three walls and installing windows.
Moving the power box about 3 meters a long the wall as its under the carport.
Installing internal walls and doors for bathroom and piping for bathroom.
Installing plasterboards walls and cornicing

After this I could pretty much do the rest myself but if the price is right I'll pay someone to do it.

Does anyone have any good experience with a company that does extensions in Perth. I'm new to getting people to do work for me as I normally do most of it myself.

Also does anyone know a ball park figure for this. I'm hoping to spend under 25K

I'd say more like $50k plus, depending on the finish of the bathroom. You also actually might not even get approval to do it in the first place - have you looked into that?

I haven't checked with council. Can I just walk in with photos and the current house plans and ask someone?

Finish will be very basic and I could do tiling, flooring, painting myself.

50K sounds very expensive for what I want.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

I could probably organise the trades people myself, it's the paperwork that I find hard to get my head around.

Pretty much why I want a company to do it for me.

Just talked to the council they said it's totally fine to convert the carport into a bedroom & ensuite as long as there is room to park cars at the front of the property. Got about 200SQM at the front of the house.

They said I need to get plans drawn up and submit to the council.
Approval takes 4-8 weeks at the moment.

So does anyone know any places I could start looking at otherwise I'll just start ringing around looking for quotes.

They said I need to get plans drawn up and submit to the council.
Approval takes 4-8 weeks at the moment.

So does anyone know any places I could start looking at otherwise I'll just start ringing around looking for quotes.

For builders or drafters?

I would consider getting some plumbers quotes in the beginning as that could be one of your biggest expenses.

Yeah your right that'll be a big cost.

I'm going to get the water diagram off the council on Monday so I can see where the piping is on the property.

Both if you have any. Deciding the effort of managing myself vs paying someone to organise it all.

I can probably draw it for you if you have the existing house plans. I can get any engineering you need done pretty quickly, too.

ALso, to anyone who knows; Isn't there something magic about renovations under $20k where the fees and approvals are cheaper and easier? IS it worth splitting this project up and DIY just for this benefit?

I'm interested.

I can provide exact measurements if you need them.

I've uploaded the original plans, and sewer diagram I got from the council today.

I did something quick as how I would like it to be but open to many different variations. I know that one is probably to crammed.

Attachments

• Hamersley Drawings1.jpg
    Hamersley Drawings1.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 162
  • SewerLines.jpg
    SewerLines.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Hamersley Proposed.JPG
    Hamersley Proposed.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Hamersley Proposed1301.JPG
    Hamersley Proposed1301.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 149
anyone?

I'm going to start calling around for someone to draw up plans.

I'm thinking of organising this myself in four parts.

1. Install new front door in dining.
2. Move house electrical box to end of wall.
3. Brick up the carport and install internal walls, windows and doors.
4. Fit out ensuite with shower, bath toilet and sink.

This should make it much easier and have no need to rush anything.

Back