Converting electric cooktop to gas cooktop

Dear all,

My IP currently has an electric cooktop and I am planning to change it to gas cooktop. Currently there is no gas pipes fittings in my IP. I was told by my agent that I may need approval from Brisbane City Council to ensure that's allowed.

I rang BCC today and they transfer me to AGL, and then when I spoke to AGL, they said they could help me with such matter.

Would you guys know anything about the process/approval related to such matter?

Thanks

Kingsley

If you don't have easily accessible gas lines in place, I'm pretty sure the easiest thing would be to run off bottled gas.
For cooking, 1 bottle lasts forever.
Not sure if approval is required, as long as the gas bottle is stored outside and far enough away from any windows.

Dear all,

My IP currently has an electric cooktop and I am planning to change it to gas cooktop. Currently there is no gas pipes fittings in my IP. I was told by my agent that I may need approval from Brisbane City Council to ensure that's allowed.

I rang BCC today and they transfer me to AGL, and then when I spoke to AGL, they said they could help me with such matter.

Would you guys know anything about the process/approval related to such matter?

Thanks

Kingsley

for only a c'top you'd only use 9kg gas bottles (swap n go) so all you have to do is get a licensed gasfitter to do the job and give you a compliance certificate for insurance purposes. most plumbers have there gas license..

If you do go mains gas you do realise your tenants will then be hit with two supply charges for having gas and electricity.

I just have to ask why?

Is it only for cooking or are you putting on the water heater as well?

Well, I didn't include the whole story in my original post. But I am moving into this IP as my PPOR for a couple years. And I really prefer gas then electric cooktop.

If in the future when I moved out and the tenant isn't happy to pay both gas and electricity, then I guess I will have to get him/her a new electric cooktop.

I'd say keep electric but go induction.
I prefer it to gas and it's realy easy to clean.
For me gas is old tech . It's all about electric and solar now.

for only a c'top you'd only use 9kg gas bottles (swap n go) so all you have to do is get a licensed gasfitter to do the job and give you a compliance certificate for insurance purposes. most plumbers have there gas license..

This is the cheap option, plus most people prefer to use gas anyway.

I wanted to do this in our house - quoted about $1.2-1.5k from a plumber to hook up the gas line. We already have a gas line and it runs only about 8 metres away from the kitchen just as an idea for you.

my daughter has induction and is not a fan. drop corner of a , teatowel or anything, or spill water on the top and it stops cooking, and you have to buy really expensive saucepans

I wanted to do this in our house - quoted about $1.2-1.5k from a plumber to hook up the gas line. We already have a gas line and it runs only about 8 metres away from the kitchen just as an idea for you.

to do what i said with a swap n go bottle you'd be looking at 400-600 (stand alone oven) depending how far it is, in qld. that cash rate mind you

my daughter has induction and is not a fan. drop corner of a , teatowel or anything, or spill water on the top and it stops cooking, and you have to buy really expensive saucepans

Realy? Ours is fine when it boils over and things. Pans are normal price. Ok you don't get the $5 specials but not any more than semi decent normal pans. I think the most expensive one we have was $80 and cheapest was $20
Anyway just a thought.

If it is only for you, and you must have gas while your there this is what I would suggest.

Get suitable cooktop that appeals to you, take out electric one & store it, fit new cooktop to same cutout & have LPG fitted.

I too would be going electric, the supply charges are going up and it is another bill all the time, at least with LPG you wont have that, when leaving, put the electric back, or keep the gas and if it plays up, install electric one back in.

PS I would be looking at the induction if it is the fast heat up time that you like...

PS PS LPG burns hotter than natural gas, just to confuse things :)

Thank goodness it was induction then. If it was gas I would hate to think what would happen.

I did this for a townhouse I own.

Noticed gas pipes capped off near my property prior to purchase so knew it could be done. Another townhouse has gas also.

I was always going to covert over to all gas, so heater, oven and hot water.

I had to get my own plumber out to commission the line, then get the energy company to come and install the meter. Wasn't too expensive, as the gas line was already on the property. Probably $500 or so all up? I got the plumber to add the gas piping in for the larger capacity oven and instant gas hot water I'd have in the future too - which I've since made use of as old electric hot water blew up and replaced oven with new gas unit.

1st step is to speak with a plumber and get a cost from him, then approach energy company.

Back