Converting study into third bedroom

Hi guys,

Just wanted your opinion if converting the study to a third bedroom would be worth it. Would be building a wall above the stairs and closing it off.

SZEBTbu.png

REA has said it would probably boost my rent by $30. However, this isn't the reason I'm doing this. It would be more for capital gains. I saw the bank's valuation on this and all comparisons were with other 2 bedroom townhouses.

If I convert this to a 3 bedder, I'm figuring it would bump up the value of the property quite nicely? Would like to pull equity in the next 1-2 years. Owner is moving out and will have to find tenants.

Concerns/considerations:

• Third bedroom has no access to toilet
  • Stairwell will become dark
  • Layout may be awkward in terms of functionality
  • Would it lose appeal?
  • As it's a townhouse will need strata approval

Some more pics:

iULW8n6.jpg

p4SgT31.jpg

ARkUnkw.jpg

All opinions appreciated! Thanks guys.

Yes absolutely
a 3rd bedroom is more valuable than a study wrt renting and valuation.

Gyprock is cheap and can be put up and taken down easily if you ever wanted to convert back to a study in future.

Some considerations:
Body corporate would not approve, and unlikely council. The reason why it is a study is probably of car space, maybe 2 car space required for 3 bedroom??
Bank valuer may pick this up in their full valuation, as they would have access to old floor plans.
Risk needs to take into consideration, when a fire was from your dwelling, and that insurance assessor looking for unlawful construction.

But the plan look so good to change to a 3 bedder to get that $30/wk

Some considerations:
Body corporate would not approve, and unlikely council. The reason why it is a study is probably of car space, maybe 2 car space required for 3 bedroom??
Bank valuer may pick this up in their full valuation, as they would have access to old floor plans.
Risk needs to take into consideration, when a fire was from your dwelling, and that insurance assessor looking for unlawful construction.

But the plan look so good to change to a 3 bedder to get that $30/wk

Would like to do this lawfully. But I can't see why it wouldn't be approved? There is a single garage + 1 car space.

Would like to do this lawfully. But I can't see why it wouldn't be approved? There is a single garage + 1 car space.

From a plan perspective, everyone would agree you could achieve a higher rent and value if the study was a 3rd bedroom. The reason why it wasn't done this way when it was first built, I speculate because it was due to car space. Now you indicated it has a garage and 1 car space, I think most Sydney council are ok.

I am now speculating that it's because of natural lighting. You only have 2 windows in the first floor. The side wall on both ground and first floor have no provision for windows so I assumed it is a terrace type townhouse, with a common left and right wall to your neighbor.

Your REA has put "Bed3/Study/Media", but I would think the original plan, council have, is just a "Study/Media"

To be lawful, you need council approval. If council advise it is a 2 bed + study, my advise is don't waste your money in getting a 3 bed approved...

If you unlawfully converted the study to a 3rd bedroom, I would think the valuer would value it as a 2 bed (and no 3rd bedroom or study), hence a lower valuer.. because this space was unlawfully constructed/sealed. Similar situation applies when you have a unlawful studio in free standing dwelling.

to avoid the council and unlawful work why not do it a different way so that a prospective tenant could see it as a third bedroom or study/media. Instead of gyprock in the stair well could you put up plantation shutters (or similar??) that can be opened and closed. Then for the door way perhaps just extend the wall as a "return" type arrangement like where they have the canvases as a partition. Plus add a sky light

... on a separate note, how good are those paintings! im a fan of the beach ones in the stairwell!!

I'll add my agreement to Bob Shovel about adding louvres to the top area, which makes it easy to be a bedroom or a study. Adding a door is easy and could easily be removed.

From a plan perspective, everyone would agree you could achieve a higher rent and value if the study was a 3rd bedroom. The reason why it wasn't done this way when it was first built, I speculate because it was due to car space. Now you indicated it has a garage and 1 car space, I think most Sydney council are ok.

I am now speculating that it's because of natural lighting. You only have 2 windows in the first floor. The side wall on both ground and first floor have no provision for windows so I assumed it is a terrace type townhouse, with a common left and right wall to your neighbor.

Your REA has put "Bed3/Study/Media", but I would think the original plan, council have, is just a "Study/Media"

To be lawful, you need council approval. If council advise it is a 2 bed + study, my advise is don't waste your money in getting a 3 bed approved...

If you unlawfully converted the study to a 3rd bedroom, I would think the valuer would value it as a 2 bed (and no 3rd bedroom or study), hence a lower valuer.. because this space was unlawfully constructed/sealed. Similar situation applies when you have a unlawful studio in free standing dwelling.

Thanks mate. Ok so from a plan perspective, it looks good and will raise value. But it wouldn't be worth council approval? I'm new to this, didn't think it would cost/be a pain that much. What's involved in legally changing to a 3 bedder?

to avoid the council and unlawful work why not do it a different way so that a prospective tenant could see it as a third bedroom or study/media. Instead of gyprock in the stair well could you put up plantation shutters (or similar??) that can be opened and closed. Then for the door way perhaps just extend the wall as a "return" type arrangement like where they have the canvases as a partition. Plus add a sky light

... on a separate note, how good are those paintings! im a fan of the beach ones in the stairwell!!

Great ideas, thank you!

Check with council if you need approval to move internal walls, I would think it's unlikely . Add a skylight to the roof above the stairs and light problem solved.

Strata approval is required for structural changes -- so would assume you would need that if you are adding a window or skylight.

A gyprock wall is hardly a structural change. It is cheap & easy to do, and to remove if wanted/needed, but I do like the idea of the louvres. I would also put a doorway into the ensuite, creating a bathroom between the bedrooms. There appears to be room between the toilet & the vanity. As for the lighting issue, there is already a skylight above the stairwell, so it might be fine as it is.

I am interested in the outcome from your enquiry to council and body corporate. All it take is your plan and what you want to do and present to them.
The OP is interested in the valuation increase it may have rather than the rent increase with the extra room.

I live in a block of 8 townhouse where I am the committee member. We had asked an owner to relocate a foxtel dish after installation and to remove a flyscreen door because it was a different colour.

Yes it is internal situation and I have no right to inspect property, but I would have a problem if the wall was plastere, but maybe ok if it's a shutter that can be removed easily.

A valuer would see its best use as a 2 bed if you can not provide approval

I agree with adding a second door into the bathroom. I would put a door to the "bedroom" between the bathroom and the top of the stairs and just increase the height of the stairwell wall a bit to give more privacy, but not all the way to the ceiling. This would allow more light and fresh air to circulate. This is not really "adding" a wall to the internals and wouldn't upset council or BC (from my experience)

Hi

I would most certainly be closing off the area as a separate media/study/sitting room. I would continue to class the property as a 2 bedroom plus this separate room when looking for future tenants.

Anybody potential tenant that looks through the property will clearly know that they could easily utilise the space as a 3rd bedroom if that is what they require and will pay the extra for this.

When you go to sell it, just promote it as a 2 bed plus study, any potential buyer will be able to picture a bed in that room if that is what they prefer.

Your only issue will be for financing purposes, the bank may only give a valuation based on a 2 bed residence, but for capital gains...any buyer wanting a 3 bed residence will see it as a 3 bed residence.

Regards,

alicudi

Back