Conveyancing Relationship

This may be slightly out of left field but thought it was worth a shot.

A couple of years ago I started studying law (LLB) part time. This arose out of an interest in the law itself, some family experiences and a good use of my spare time. I'm now around half way through the law component and coming up to study property law and conveyancing this semester.

I have a good friend who is a mortgage broker and who is willing to refer all his clients to me when I am either fully qualified as a lawyer (2.5 years) or legally able to do the work.

My idea was perhaps I could approach an existing lawyer who would be prepared to "show me the ropes" and take me on as a contractor type relationship, where we could negotiate a percentage split of the conveyancing fee. I do the work and gain the experience ahead of completing my degree, and hopefully the existing lawyer gains some easy extra revenue without the costs of adding an employee. I presume there is opportunity for other legal work via these clients in estate planning, wills, trusts etc mainly VIC/TAS based if that is important.

So legal eagles, do you think this concept could have wings?

Sounds like a great idea. The best way to do business is with other industry related professionals around you.

Get up to speed on your state's conveyancing. Your broker will be a good source of clients, but also do you part to talk to other professions (brokers or conveyancers in other states who have interstate buyers, property managers, buyers agencies, etc)

It's always far more rewarding (financially and in other ways) to work for yourself rather than for another.

So legal eagles, do you think this concept could have wings?

I wouldn't take you on because of the risks involved.

If you're lucky you might score a paralegal role where you do conveyancing, but otherwise you'd be hard pressed to find a lawyer who would let you even do it for free.

I wouldn't take you on because of the risks involved.

If you're lucky you might score a paralegal role where you do conveyancing, but otherwise you'd be hard pressed to find a lawyer who would let you even do it for free.

I'm not looking for a job - I already have one. I'm looking to bring forward one aspect of my next career and thought this may be one method of doing that.

When you mention risks, can you elaborate? Do you mean shoddy work and/or liability insurance impacts?

When you mention risks, can you elaborate? Do you mean shoddy work and/or liability insurance impacts?

Yes plus all the usual risks of employing anyone. Its not worth a few extra bucks to the lawyer.

They would also have to spend their time training you.

Yes plus all the usual risks of employing anyone. Its not worth a few extra bucks to the lawyer.

They would also have to spend their time training you.

Yes the training would be the trade off for the new revenue stream(s) in this scenario, but I would not be an employee who receives leave or superannuation entitlements. By the time I started I would be close to completing conveyancing and property law subjects.

Depending upon how far through your course you are (and your interests), you may find work as a paralegal for a developer/asset manager/major commercial property manager etc. A typical entry point is via temporary contract work (thru a headhunter) reviewing commercial/retail leases - work of this nature for the inexperienced can be sporadic depending upon who has purchased which asset and how far through their due dilegence they are.

i should clarify I think.

I'm 41 and in an existing career and not looking to get a legal job as such.

I have a source of conveyancing work that I'd like to take advantage of for educational and financial benefit since I study law part time. I can't legally do this unless qualified or working for/under a qualified lawyer or conveyancer, hence why I am interested in a relationship where I generate my own business and invoice as a contractor

i should clarify I think.

I'm 41 and in an existing career and not looking to get a legal job as such.

I have a source of conveyancing work that I'd like to take advantage of for educational and financial benefit since I study law part time. I can't legally do this unless qualified or working for/under a qualified lawyer or conveyancer, hence why I am interested in a relationship where I generate my own business and invoice as a contractor

I've previously studied conveyancing law (3yrs part time) mostly for self interest. What stopped me doing conveyancing for others (ie to be able to charge s fee) is because I was required to work under the supervision of a licensed solicitor/conveyancer full time for at least a year. To me that meant starting from the bottom again with wages (junior role eg paralegal?). Without that year of supervision I don't think you could register on your own or charge other people fees.
That was quite a few years ago so I'd recommend u to check with dept fair trading in case my memory failed me.

Sorry should clarify that my understanding is:

Qualified =qualification + completed supervision year

Just having the qualification itself wouldn't get you the licence/registration.
That's my understanding, could be wrong tho

Sorry should clarify that my understanding is:

Qualified =qualification + completed supervision year

Just having the qualification itself wouldn't get you the licence/registration.
That's my understanding, could be wrong tho

Yes non-lawyers need a cert 4 or diploma in conveyancing and two years experience as a conveyancer before you can set up shop as a conveyancer on your own. I'll be qualified as a lawyer in 2.5 years part time so its pointless for me to do the conveyancing course.

This source of business will still be there then, I was just looking at ways of taking advantage of it now and I thought my idea was a little left field but still good.

I did a contract for a mid-tier law firm recently - its not the most forward thinking of industries :D

I wouldn't touch this either, mainly because of the risks but also because of the time involved. You couldnt work on your own but only under supervision (- does that imply an employee relationship ??) and at most people would only want to pay $1000 for conveyancing. Not worth it.

So I think it will be hard for you to find work like this. But you should probably approach the smaller suburban lawyers who may be more inclined. It would be great for your study and also count for practical legal training.

Once you were admitted as a solicitor then you might get a shot at it. Conveyancing is a volume game, profit on a sale is <$150 and a purchase is <$300. There is not a great deal of scope for profit sharing unless you are able to do the work with minimal supervision.

Also Conveyancing is top of the PI claims for law practices for a reason.

Back