Coolest car ever - the Moke...

Brings back memories. When I was a child, my dad (mechanic) had some contract to fix a whole bunch of them.

Very cool! Wonder what they will cost +1 on the hope for sub $10k.

I agree.. but would they be able to be complianced in Australia these days?

Apparently...

Moke International is planning on selling 1,000 cars a year, with Australia and New Zealand being the obvious target markets. There are even plans afoot for an electric Eco Moke - just the thing for nipping between the beach and the surf shop.
http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/mini-moke-makes-its-comeback-1

They look awesome but I wouldn't want to be in one in an accident

Hence my apprehension about compliance.. I look at the car and I look at nanny state Australia and I'll be amazed if they will be able to be be used on road.

I know motor bikes are similarly exposed but they have different compliance regs.. this is a car.

Anyway, I love em.. I rent one when I go to Magnetic Island and my uncle used to have a lime green one back in the day.

Light enough so that 4 decent sized guys (or girls too, to not be accused of sexism) can pick one up and move it....

And also made out of galvanised steel -> no rust.

jusm - that's exactly my memory as well - renting them on Maggie (well, parents renting them when I was a kid, anyway. Haven't been to Magnetic Is for years now).

They always did seem to be the ideal car for a tropical island. :) Not really a good/safe car for urban driving though.

Good memories though. I had one as a paddock bomb when I was a teenager.

jusm - that's exactly my memory as well - renting them on Maggie (well, parents renting them when I was a kid, anyway. Haven't been to Magnetic Is for years now).

Its certainly lost its charm.. overdeveloped and it lost its innocence.
Great beaches though.

The Moke has a great body design. Getting rid of the terrible motor, upgraded electronics and EFI would make the thing half practical. :)

and 0-100km in TBD

Hahaha. To be determined by The Stig :p

Agree that it is ugly. I think that bonnet looks like it came off the original Army Jeeps wrt size and bulk. It is disproportionate to the rest of the vehicle which is low slung.

Those seats look mighty uncomfortable.

Now for them to bring back the Suzuki Sierra. Which is the 4wd equivelant. Great car. I learnt to drive in one and we still keep it at the beach house. After over 500k kms, 3 learner drivers, at least 3 roll overs, several swims and more clutches than I can remember she still goes like a bat out of hell (provided you only go up to 60kms/hr)

Love these little open cars.

Blacky.

....at least 3 roll overs....
Blacky.

Yeah I saw a Sierra with a bumber sticker that said

DO NOT OVERTAKE OVERTURNING VEHICLE

:D

I had a black wide-track 1.3L (the last of them before taking on the Jimny label here)

I almost turned mine over, but the road was slippery enough for me to recover and just rear end a guard rail (on the other side of the road). I think only a Sierra driver can relate to how the steering lightens up alarmingly as you corner as both inside wheels lift off.... (not helped by the fact my unit had a lift kit and balloon tyres....)

The Y-man

The Y-man

Back