Cooling off period

Can anyone tell me if the cooling off period of 3 days in Victoria is only on week days (weekends not counted) i.e. if you sign up on Friday, do you have until Wednesday to cool off.

Nigel is right, it is on the front of the contract, also it was the agents responsibility to ensure that you understood...

But...

The cooling off period in Victoria is 3 clear business days. This does not include weekends or public holidays.

So, if you signed on a friday, you have until close of business wednesday to change your mind (assuming neither mon, tue nor wed are public holidays).

This is the simplistic answer. It also depends on the purchase price of the property, if it was OVER $250,000 there is no cooling off. There are other conditions, but I assume you have not signed a similar contract previously, nor are you a real estate agent!

hope this helps...

asy :D

Nash
The cooling off period refers to a period of 3 clear buisness days after the contract has been sighned. during which the purchaser may withdraw from the contract of sale, the cooling off period applies to the sale of residential prop and chattels, and to the sale of chattels & rural prop which is not used for the purpose of farming and wich does not exceed 20 hectares, if the cooling of period is to apply, the sale price of the property canot exceed $250.000

Hope this is of some help, regards steven

Pushy real estate agents

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was asking on behalf of friends who were buying another IP. I thought it was 3 clear days too, just wanted to make sure.:p

I think our legislators need to modernise the $250,000 limit (before the cooling off period cease). Indeed, these days you are lucky to get a one/two bedroom apartment for this amount.

With the median price of a house being around $350,000, there doesn't seem to be any protection here at all.

Glenn2.

I wholeheartedly agree, Glenn,

It's a little ridiculous now, although when it was written it would have been OK...

Maybe it needs to be changed to around 500k?

Keep in mind that this is VIC specific, for example, there is no limit in QLD, here everyone gets the same cooling off.

asy :D

Back