Corded blinds inspection

Hey all,

I have a couple of properties - one which was purchased in later 2011 and leased out with timber Venetian blinds. It's under management with a reasonably good PM.

I've never been asked to get a corded blind inspection even though they were installed from the start.

Just purchased another property and have installed venetians again but it has come to light that I need to get them certified annually. I can't seem to find much info on this.

How much is everyone paying per annum? Is there a cheaper way to get annual certification? Seems the going rate is around $100pa - typically included with the smoke alarm inspection. What does it involve?

We physically raised or removed the cords ourselves as it was rumoured that it was going to become an issue but my PMs have never sent any further info after the first round of scaremongering a year ago. I'll check the RTA website for any facts.

You need to ensure that the warning labels have not been removed from the cords. I don't think they say not to remove, but tenants are possibly like to remove them.

LOL. No you dont need to have your blind cords certified annually.

What you do need to do is ensure that blinds that have been installed either by trades or DIY comply with the new leglislation. IE

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2014L00363/Explanatory Statement/Text

Requirements

1. Installation.

The corded internal window covering must be installed in a way that ensures a loose cord cannot form a loop 220 mm or longer at or less than 1,600 mm above floor level and using any components specified in the installation instructions as necessary to meet requirements for cord safety.

The corded internal window covering must be also be installed in accordance with the installation instructions on any retail packaging for the covering and in accordance with any other installation instructions related to ensuring that a loose cord cannot form a loop as described in paragraph (1) (a).

No part of a cord guide may be installed lower than 1,600 mm above the floor level unless the cord guide will remain firmly attached to a wall or other structure specified in the instructions when subjected to a specified force and the cord is sufficiently secured or tensioned so as to prevent formation of a loop 220 mm or longer.

A cleat used to secure a cord must be installed at least 1,600 mm above floor level.

2. Labelling.

A person installing a corded internal window covering must attach a label to it containing the name and contact details of the person or company responsible for the installation and must not remove any warning label or swing tag supplied with the corded internal window covering.

Back