Cornflower's renovation diary - Cessnock

Hi Folks,

well I got made redundant 2 weeks ago, and I have decided to spend the time and redundancy payout on a renovation.

I have a house in Cessnock that was purchased as a one bedroom house for $51k about 5 years ago. The bathroom had been installed into the second bedroom.

The house is very rundown and needs a good spruce-up.

I'm also going to move the bathroom from the bedroom into the laundry, which is quite a large area, and move the laundry into the outside loo, bring the loo indoors.

Here is my diary of events so far....

02/08/2003

Tenants move out today. There is still a dead car body in the garage (groan) which they need to remove, as well as alot of garbage. May need to get a mini-skip for that.

03/08/2003

More reconissance of the inside. Measured the house up and started making plans. We now have a very long list of things to do and work to be done. At about 5pm I picked up the corner of the vinyl in the kitchen to discover beautiful raw floorboards in very good condition.

All three of us drooled at the floorboards as the other houses we had done had not had boards this good in them. It was an amazing surprise as the rest of the house is pretty crappy. Anyway, a ripping-up-vinyl and carpet frenzy began and we had all of the 4 layers in a pile in the middle of the room within 2 hours.

The carpet was dumped outside (and disappeared. We are not sure who took it, but good luck to them! It was the dirtiest and most disgusting carpet I had ever seen!)

I was thinking I might need a mini-skip to get rid of the old vinyl, but Mum managed to fit it all in the regular garbage bin. That woman has the tardis-touch when it comes to garbage bins. I'm sure if I asked her to dismantle a 3 storey building she could fit it into a regular council garbage bin!

Pile of detrius from the kitchen / dining floor...

184Im000223A.jpg

04/08/2003 - 07/08/2003

Great Keppel Island. I thought alot about the reno while I was away. Seriously......

08/08/2003

Time to start scrounging materials. The current bathroom has a bathroom window in it that needs to be replaced with a regular window. Obtained one for $90 from Kurri Kurri second hand building supplies. I also need to buy 2 windows for the kitchen as the kitchen has no natural light. I went to look at some from the trading post but they weren't suitable..

Here is the kitchen...

184Im000251A.jpg

184Im000226A.jpg

The cabinet on the left will be removed as well as the "lovely" picture and two windows will go in either side of the old stove.

09/08/2003

Scraping off paint on the outside of the house where it was flaking. I have some leftover teal from the last house that will look really nice. I had a closer inspection of the fence, which is falling apart. Hhhmmm. Bloody fences arent cheap. I'm going to have to work out something inventive to fix up this one. Some work completed on door jams. This place has been broken into on a couple of occasions and the door jamms are screwed up. The back door is actually an internal door that has been "modified" to suit. It's falling apart and there is a steel bar in use to keep it closed and secure. Oh well... add a new back door to the list.

10/08/2003

Could only spend half a day here today but between myself and Mr Cornflower we got most of the lining in the bathroom ripped out. I had a bright idea that if we can get the plumbing turned off then we can get a move on with fixing up this room before the real plumber comes to install the bathroom in the laundry later on in the month. Dad is looking into it....

Here is the bathroom....

184Im000224A.jpg

Here is the bathroom half stripped of the lining... gee they really loved that green colour, it's under everything...

184Im000249A.jpg

184Im000250A.jpg

12/08/2003

Washing down interior walls ready to paint. Someone on this forum recommended using the detergent for dishwashers on walls. I tried it and it's bloody brilliant. I think it probably takes a few microns of paint off but that is just fine by me.

We retouched a few bits and pieces in the front two rooms (bedroom and loungeroom) but they wont need much more. Thankfully.

13/08/2003

Carpet time. There is some carpet on sale in a store in Kurri that is supposedly worth checking out. I did the rounds and it looks pretty good. I can't get enough to do all of the house in the same carpet. Decisions decisions..... A trip to the second hand place in Redcliff wasn't fruitful, so it's back to Kurri to make a choice on the carpet available there.

This carpet would retail from $175 to $225 a metre in regular stores but here it is being sold off at $30 a metre. It's lovely carpet. I have managed to get some beautiful blue and cream wool for the 2 front rooms, some cream for the third bedroom and some cream in a similar pattern that is a little more hard wearing for the sleepout/study. None of these floors abutt one another so I think with some interesting paint work to pull it all together I should be able to get away with it. All of the different coverings come together at the edge of the kitchen/dining room which will be polished boards.

The carpet cost me $380 including delivery. I'm very happy.

No more windows appear in the trading post so I will have to keep looking.

14/08/2003

Didn't start work today until about 3pm due to taking Mr Cornflower to the airport, however we got through alot anyway.

A big pile of junk was removed from the chicken coop. A big pile of junk now resides next to the chicken coop. Anything half salvageable has been picked over and picked out and what is left really is junk. One suprise find was a whole lot of beautiful and quite expensive looking blue tiles, about 2 inches square. This will save me some $$ in decorative tiles in the bathroom. I'm not sure why somebody would dump a bucket load of expensive spanish looking tiles in the chicken coop, maybe they wanted spanish chickens?

I have ripped out all of the kitchen benchtops to reveal a carcass that is in very good condition and re-useable. I'll put some new door handles on, a new countertop and sink and nobody will be any the wiser. I like the 50's door hinges so if I can reuse them and make them a feature all at the same time, that would be great. The doors themselves are quite rough but a coat of decorative paint should hide all that. Some of the decorative paints I have bought before have not been too robust so this is something to watch out for this time, especially being in the kitchen.

More washing down of walls and ceilings. With the use of "finish" the ceiling in the "new" bedroom has come up so well that we will not have to paint it. Always a blessing!!! A dig around in the roof cavity to locate the manhole cover quickly revealed some used syringes in a syringe case. Um, nice..... glad we got rid of those tenants.

We got a quote for replacing the two wall panels and the window in the "new" bedroom. $250. To answer Adrian's question - I'm going to pay somebody so the problem goes away :) I will have a close look to see what he does though and report back.

To answer Nigel... I intend to sell this house once we have done the renovations and put the money in shares or another project. Therefore I'm working more on some "wow" factor rather than just puting in hard wearing stuff that will last a tenant or two.

-----------------------------------------

To be continued.............

Last edited:
YOU GO GIRL!

My comiserations on your redundancy Cornie, but it sounds to me as if you're not dwelling on it and putting your time to good use. Can't wait to see the finished photos! Think of all the skills you're learning on this job...... :)

Hope you're coming to Parra for a break on the 21st and bring those pics! Happy renovating!

Hey corn flower

I don't know of a second hand place in kurri, can you post hte address?

Looks like a fun renovation. Enjoy!

Jas

Cornflower

Great post CF! Very interesting! Please keep posting your diary - warts and all!

I'm sure you'll find that time, and your wise scrounging skills will see a massive capital gain!

I guess the next question for you is what do you plan to do with the place once it's fixed up? Rent it out or sell and plough the funds into another project...

I guess it will depend on your need for cashflow...

Update....

I have updated the original post with today's hi-jinks.

Thanks for the encouragement folks!!!

Jas - I'm not sure of the address - it's in Lang street going towards Heddon Greta. Maybe a block down on the right going out of town? They had a lot in initially but there is'nt much left... could still be worth checking out. I'm tempted to stockpile a bit myself at this price.

The place where I got the window is in Mitchell Ave.

Jax - I'm aiming at being there on the 21st. :)

CF

Last edited:
Love the diary CornFlower- please keep it up!

But I'd prefer new posts to be added as activities get updated- that way I can just read what's new, without having to figure out what I've read in the original post each time.

That would probably be easier for you as well?

Thanks

Cornflower,
I stockpile stuff from every reno that I don't need. When the next one comes along, the first place I look is my own stockpile :)

Geoff,
She'll have to after a while. you can only edit your post for so long afterwards. That's what I found when I wanted to add things to the FAQs anyway...

Jas

Hi Folks,

today's update!

Geoff - no problem with adding each day as a new post.

So today...

Finally!! We got some windows for the kitchen at Wallsend Demolition. They are in very good condition bar a couple of cracked panes, and they match the other windows in the house perfectly! Only $60 each too. We had to be quick because there were some other folks looking at the same windows. Dad went back with the trailer in the afternoon to pick them up as we had originally gone looking for tiles.

The kitchen has an old enamel oven that I am leaving in as a feature. (At the rate the house will be all features and no susbstance!) A raised cement backsplash is crying out for some tiles and I thought some hearth tiles might look good. Until I saw the price of $28 per tile. Then they stopped looking so good....... back to the drawing board on that one.

Mum put a coat of white paint over the apple green paint on the celing in the sleepout. Looks so much better already. The white paint is left over from the last renovation.

The Green Ceiling - what were they thinking??!?
184IM000260A.JPG

I ripped off all the cupboard doors and sanded back the surrounds of the kitchen cupboards. I have some weird unrequited love thing going on with the can of Paint Stripper. No matter how much I cover up, Paint Stripper will find that 2mm piece of skin to burn into. Paint Stripper is persistent and will work its way through any obstacle including gardening gloves to reach my skin. Paint Stripper will disolve my clothes given half a chance. Paint Stripper also likes blonde hair......

I'm using a brand of paint stripper that is "professional strength". I've learnt that paint stripper is your friend as long as you treat it very, very respectfully!

Kitchen doors now off.
184IM000263A.JPG

One load of Chicken Coop detrius went to the tip.

Chicken Coop AFTER (Its got a looooong way to go..)
184IM000256A.JPG

The handyman came to spend the last of the tenants bond on busted doors and door jamms today. We will have to tidy up behind him a bit.... bugger. At least we have 2 news doors now that both lock. It looks as of the new back door he put in is actually an internal door. One of the internal doors is actually an external door, so we will do a swap-sy after I've attacked the more solid door with paint effects.

I started painting the inside of the kitchen cupboards matt black. Mum thinks I should paint them white but if white chips it looks awful, I think black is more chip-proof. If she really wants them white, I told her I would be quite happy for her to paint them all white. So... here am I painting them all black.

We also cleaned off most of the dirt from the beautiful blue tiles rescued from the Coop.

Blue Tiles rescued from the Chicken Coop
184IM000257A.JPG

Tally of money parted with so far:

3 windows - $210
Carpet - $380
Paint Stripper - $32
Cleaning supplies - $10
Matt Black paint - $12

Total - $644

Photo's that should have been added to the posts above:

New Carpet
184IM000259A.JPG

Kitchen after top removed - displaying the syringe unit "salvaged" from the roof cavity
184IM000258A.JPG

16/08/2003

Not alot finished today...

Mum continues with the sleepout ceiling.

I continue with painting the inside of the kitchen cabinets black.

I dismantled the cupboard doors and got some special paint applied to them. Dulux Metallic effects. They need to be reassembled and reinstalled. The "fronts" will be the new backs/inserts of the reconfigured doors.

Painted Door inserts - I haven't been too careful with the edges as they will be covered up.
184IM000273e.JPG

I painted the stove to match the cupboard doors.
184IM000272b.JPG

I started dismantling the horrendous window fittings ready for the new ones.
184IM000271a.JPG

I spent a couple of hours caulking gaps. Old houses have lots and lots and lots of gaps....

Dad took to the Privet with a chainsaw. Yes he is in there somewhere.... Behind that privet is a 4m high shed. Although we should probably be removing all of the privet we are just going to take it back a bit as it acts a good screen to the shed.
184IM000270d.JPG

Tally of money parted with so far:

3 windows - $210
Carpet - $380
Paint Stripper - $32
Cleaning supplies - $10
Matt Black paint - $20
Metallic paint - $15
Doorstops, facemasks, sandpaper - $10
Caulking Gear - $8

Had a bit of a freak out today about how much we have left to do in how little time. We need to speed things up a bit but I'm not sure how.

Last edited:
17/08/2003

Not much visibly accomplished today, but we got alot set up for the next couple of days work.

All the kitchen cupboards and doors are primed and ready for the top coat.

Gave the stove another coat of glamour paint.

The sleepout walls are all prepared for painting.

I bought some bamboo stick blinds for $19 each for the windows and got one of these installed, as well as some of the window frames painted.

Same window as above updated a bit (shot taken at night...)
184IM000277A.JPG

Stripped the door between the kitchen and the sleepout..
184IM000276A.JPG

The walls are "honey white" throughout the house and the trim around the windows is "birdseed". The carpet wiill be mostly neutral colours and the kitchen/dining floor will be polished timber.

The carpet in the front two rooms has a blue fleck, but the stove in the kitchen is green and yellow. Blue and green don't go together all that well so I need to tie in the colour scheme. I'm going to put some purple accents throughout the house to bring it all in as purple accents blue nicely and contrasts well with green. I'm going to use things like purple toned pictures in the main bedroom and dining room, and purple tea towels in the kitchen. Purple note books etc in the sleepout/study. Purple flowers when the house is open for inspection.

One lesson I have learnt already is that everything needs to be as planned as possible. Because of circumstances I wasn't able to plan as well as I would have liked to and I'm certainly seeing that coming through in the progress we are making (or not making). The style of the decor wasn't planned as tightly as it could have been which has meant that I have wasted some time doing stuff that ultimately hasn't worked, either practically or stylistically.

I stripped the old door in the photo but at the end of the day I have decided to pull it out as it does not fit in with the rest of the house. I'm also not going to be able to use the hinges from the kitchen cupboard doors, which I was hoping to do, so I wasted time stripping them as well.

Organising tradesmen has also been a problem and we can't get a plumber in for about a week and a half. With better planning we could have had him in earlier.

After today I'm feeling like we are more on track and the style is more defined - with more design parameters in place choices are more limited, which will hopefully mean decisions will be faster!

Hopefully tomorrow we can lock down some time for a carpet-layer and electrician, and organise the guy to come and put in the extra windows.

I'm back to Sydney tonight with a long shopping list.....

cornflower,
you're a champ,love the ongoing commentary, I wish I was able to reno any let everyone now how it was going day2day. Great stuff. The block in cessnock !!
ab

18/08/2003 - 24/08/2003

Back in Sydney shopping - everything is taking longer and is more complicated and more expensive than I hoped. I still can't get hearth tiles I like at a reasonable price - tile shops are now becoming the new bookshops - I'm spending hours in them looking for just the right thing. I've given up and decided to use white tiles as the splashbacks in the kitchen iwth a black tile border. I bought the tiles, after freaking at how much they cost. New term for the day "listello" - those thin and occasionally decorative tiles you put at the top of other tiles. The ones I bought were the bottom of the range and came in at $3.75 each. It could be that I'm just cheap......

I've visited the A-Plan kitchen place and had a reasonable quote on my kitchen benchtops. In retrospect it would have been easier to just buy a second hand kitchen and put that in than try and tart-up the one that is there now... and an awful lot faster. We have undercoated and done the first coat on the carcass and doors of the darker green.

Things purchased this week:

Vanity Unit for the bathroom ($122 at auction)
Double sink for the kitchen ($166 at auction)
Mixer tap for the kitchen ($89 at auction)
Various doors ($150 for 5 at auction)
Listello tiles ($108, tile place in Eastwood)
Light fittings ($110, Light Up, Canterbury, the half price ones advertised on TV)

Other things accomplished this week:

* More privet removed from the garden
* Sleepout / study and Loungeroom blinds hung
* Bath moved away from the wall to expose the rotting floorboards. eek.
* Basin removed from the bathroom
* Some of the plumbing in the bathroom removed / capped off
* Sleepout / study partly undercoated
* Tradesmen organised to install the 2 new windows at a cost of $380, they should complete this tomorrow

Hi Cornflower,

wow, what can I say, well done & keep up the good work with your posts... one thing I should add is that you have been an inspiration to my wife (who is slowly starting to get a grip/liking of IP investing) & is now she is looking forward to my next reno I will commence in a month's time...

Well done once again & hope it all goes well from here (keep the posts coming)...

Cheers,

MannyB.

You're a legend, Cornie- what can I say?
And between doing all this, she still finds time to come to our social gathering in Parramatta on Thursday night.... amazing energy!

I've got to agree with you about the green ceiling- quite disgusting, but probably trendy for it's era. The kitchen sounds like it's been quite an ordeal- better you than me for sticking at it. I would have ripped it all out by now :)

Those auctions you speak of are in Sydney, I'm presuming. I've been to tile, car, office furniture and antique auctions but yet have to go to a general building materials one. Are they really worthwhile or do you spend a lot of time standing around?

25/08/2003 - 31/08/2003

25/08/2003 Tradesmen didnt turn up :( I was at home with the flu. NOT what I need right now... Hung out in Bunnings for a while looking at prices of things to get an idea of how much stuff costs before I go to an auction later in the week.

26/08/2003 Tradesmen turned up and replaced one wall panel, replaced the bedroom/bathroom window with a larger one and installed the 2 windows in the kitchen. Left an almighty mess and didn't do that grand a job. Some of the wall was broken away around the windows and I'm not sure how we are going to fix it. These guys created alot more work for us... at the moment it is very difficult to get anyone to come and do work in the area as there is alot of renovation work going on the and tradesmen are very busy. It gives them the latitude to do poor work I guess....

The two new windows in the kitchen really lighten the place up!

184Im000284A.jpg

27/08/2003 Had a different builder in to look at the bathroom (this one we had to wait 5 weeks for! He is a bathroom builder guy.) Quote due back in 10 days... I went to the first day of an auction... picked up a sink for the new laundry for $12, another vanity for $225 (the first vanity had some paintwork damage in transit... we may be able to fix it but at this stage I'd rather just fork out to have something there and ready to go.) A loo with ceramic cistern $220.

28/08/2003 A rubbish removalist came and took the bath and sink away. Nobody wanted these for free, I guess we were overly hopeful! Because they are cast iron they were too big for us to move ourselves.

184Im000281A.jpg

Mum got some more painting done today - I went back to pick some of the stuff up from the auction - but there was another auction on and I wasn't allowed to take any of it! On the way home I stopped at a Tile place that was having a sale. I got some square white tiles on special for $9.95 sqm, and some lovely floor tiles for $20 sqm. These will go great in the bathroom and really match in well with the tiles we rescued from the Chicken Coop.

29/08/2003 Back to the auction rooms to pick up the gear I bought the other day. More paining and undercoating going on back at the house... we now have all of the plumbing removed from the bedroom/bathroom! Now it's just a bedroom! We still have to get a couple of wall sections replaced in this room before we can finish it off. Tradesmen apparently coming in on Monday. We shall see...

The new window is in and the plumbing is gone! Yippee!

184Im000286A.jpg

30/08/2003 More painting.....

31/08/2003 Got the enormous heavy cement tub out of the laundry. This room is now empty and ready to have the bathroom installed. The floor is rotten and will need to be removed, first up. I started back on with the kitchen cupboards again... it seems like a never ending job.. Once, I thought about the fact that I don't have a job anymore. It was the first time I've really thought about it since it happened. In many ways I'm starting to see that it really was a blessing in disguise.

Manny - thanks for the kind words!! Reno'ing isnt that hard, but it sure isn't as easy as they make out on TV!!!

Jacque - Ooohhh I'm tempted to rip it all out. Especially given the amount of garbage the window installers put all over it. Some of it was trashed and it wasn't even near the windows!! My these blokes were messy.... Yes the auctions were in Sydney. Auctions are great as long as you know your prices. I don't think you will ever pay more than retail at an auction, however there is no point hanging around all day just to get something at full retail price!! I do seem to be picking up some bargains at the moment tho' and as we are somewhat held up waiting for tradesmen it makes sense to use this extra time to save some $$. The prices are very erratic and it all depends who is there and what they are prepared to pay for an item on the day. If you don't have alot of extra time I wouldn't reccommend them, I don't think.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement... :D

Cornflower

Last edited:
Great job cornflower!

I am off to Brissie to do the same to my first IP. The place is only 9 yo and a total mess. Apparently the tentants have 8 yes 8 cats that live inside and think that the bathroom is only for special occasions, so the place stinks of dirty cats, dirty laundry and two very dirty men!

I am keen to get more info on cleaning the walls with dishwasher stuff. What exactly do you use? Liquid or power? Do you dilute the liquid, if that is what it is? Is is better than sugar soap? What do you use to apply it? In my current house I used a mop the wash the walls with sugar soap.

These questions and many more..........

Many ta's
:)

Go Cornflower!! You have my admiration for your sheer determination and attitude. Can't wait to see the all up end result- and can I borrow your folks for my next reno?!

Pikachu,
As for gyprock walls, I've found it best to clean with a watered down bucket of chlorine- best results, even better than sugar soap! Just watch for hairs and fluff off some mops. I did some walls with a sponge mop but later found too many yellow foam bits and had to keep removing them. When walls are dry dust off with an old nappy to get them nice and smooth. Happy cleaning!

*bump*

cornflower where are you up to now?

I'm truly interested in what you're doing, and I want to see how you're going?

Jas

Back