Cosmetic renovations - managing from interstate

I'm starting the hunt for a property interstate, most likely in outer districts of Brisbane. As I am interested in older properties, I'm considering that a minor renovation may be needed so at least budgeting for it.

What sort of experiences have you had in scheduling and managing cosmetic renovations for quick completion in the 4-week period after settlement?

Do you engage a builder directly or do you use an interior design company?

Is it feasible to get builders to quote before settlement?

Assuming kitchen/bathroom renovation, painting, etc (with no structural/layout changes) is it feasible to get a task like this done in 4 weeks?

What sort of budget is reasonable assuming a basic 3 bedroom brick-veneer house?

What approach do you use?

Can anyone recommend firms they've had success with in Brisbane? ( or for that matter other capital cities? ) - and are organised enough to do the job efficiently and in a respectable timeframe.

Find a local builder that do it all or, maybe a chippy and painter depending on what you want done.

Take heaps of photos and measurements at the inspections to know what you want done and to email photos. A local builder should be familiar with the vintage of house do familiar with sizes and build type etc. you should work out what you want done and break it up for it to be priced up. Compare your budget to the builders price and rejig as needed. Let the builder know what finishes and brands your after to understand how much to spend.

Regular phone calls and with mobiles a picture message makes it so easy!

Find a local builder that do it all or, maybe a chippy and painter depending on what you want done.

Take heaps of photos and measurements at the inspections to know what you want done and to email photos. A local builder should be familiar with the vintage of house do familiar with sizes and build type etc. you should work out what you want done and break it up for it to be priced up. Compare your budget to the builders price and rejig as needed. Let the builder know what finishes and brands your after to understand how much to spend.

Regular phone calls and with mobiles a picture message makes it so easy!

I'm referring to a scenario where I may buy a property sight unseen so arrange for a local firm to cost-up and manage a carefully scheduled reno.

I guess a building inspection company could be used to get the measurements and collect a detailed set of photos of each room in addition to any problems/structural issues/etc.

That could get the detailed info needed to get builders to quote ( although some may be unwilling to quote sight unseen ).

Ahhh ok. You could pay a builder to go to the prospective property and give you rough prices. If you find a good builder a few cases go a long way!

But still unseen you should both be able to work out approx figures. Photos from the real estate ad would give a fair bit of info to get approx figures... But the tricky part would be finding someone reputable that hasn't "touched"the job. Many might fob it off as to unreliable or risky not getting in

The builders can provide you their hourly rates to give you an idea but I wouldn't suggest doing the work hourly!

Where are you looking ill do it for you, I could be the somersoft travelling handy man going wherever I'm needed!

I've you've got a good property manager - they should be able to recommend tradies and/or coordinate the work for a fee.

Cheers

Jamie

Back