Cost for building a unit in backyard.

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of building a unit in my backyard (Melbourne) and was wondering what it would cost to build a 13 SQ house (120 sqm) unit? I am after a basic / finish with low end fittings, basically nothing flash. Brick veneer, tiled roof, 2 bedroom unit with garage. I am very handy so much of the work after lock up i can do myself. At this stage i'm planning to owner build.

From my research i've been working on $1200 per sqm for a low finish construction. Does this sound about right? I've been told $1200 is a bit low and work on $1500 per sqm.

I am also guessing the figure above doesn't allow for driveway, basic landscaping, etc?

Any hep much appreciated.

Thanks

Hodge :)

Hi Hodge

$1200 sounds about right for a low finish constructed unit. Each development is different so bear in mind all your services (do you need another electrical pit) and contributions as well. The driveway cost alone is different for each development i.e. the length of the driveway, is it plain or coloured, do you need to replace the cross over etc etc

Have you also considered the costs involved with the front house e.g. is a new garage carport required?

Also, don't forget the subdivision process. I see it too often developers leaving this stage too late. I know one guy who finished his units in a timely manner but waited an extra 6 months to get his money.

Cheers
Oscar

Hi Oscar
Thanks for the reply. The front house does need a garage but I plan to work out the cost to alter the existing dwelling last. I'll be using the existing cross over and the drive way will be just plain boring concrete.
Does the $1200 sqm include builders margin? If my calculations are right I've allowed around $5k for contributions but I guess this would be on top of the construction costs.

Also, dumb question, how will I know if I need another electricity pit?

Regards

Hodge

Does the $1200 sqm include builders margin? If my calculations are right I've allowed around $5k for contributions but I guess this would be on top of the construction costs.

Also, dumb question, how will I know if I need another electricity pit?

Regards

Hodge

Hodge

depends on the trades you use. If it's your first and you don't have a team of trades allow $1200 to be safe.

Pits depend on your location, your distributor and whether you currently have overhead power or not. Find out who your distributor is, call them and go from their. They will have a form for you to fill out where you sketch the site plan. You can get your sparky involved to help you out. Organising the services is the tricky part for unit developments.

Cheers
Oscar

Thanks Oscar I'll contact power distributor to see what they say. It's an older suburb with over head power lines. Hopefully they are kind to me!

I've been following your recent development in Epping (I think). How did you manage to build the units so cheap? Are you on track to meet your budget?

Regards

Hodge

The 35m2 self contained granny flat at the back of one of my IP's cost about $142 per m2 for about half the work.

The slab and brickwork and roof were already mostly done though. So it was just sheeting off, installing bathroom and kitchen, and tilling left, plus some other jobs like eaves and putting in doors and windows, running water and elec, installing hot water system, etc...

Thanks Oscar I'll contact power distributor to see what they say. It's an older suburb with over head power lines. Hopefully they are kind to me!

I've been following your recent development in Epping (I think). How did you manage to build the units so cheap? Are you on track to meet your budget?

Regards

Hodge

Hi Hodge,

I'm also a registered builder so my costs are naturally lower.

Cheers
Oscar

Back