Cost of a quote

Hi all,

I have broken sewer pipe at my investment property. At the moment the problem has been fixed temporarily by the PM's plumber. I've asked the very same plumbers to provide a quote to fixed the problem permanently and they have responded back that they will need $30 to obtain sewer drainage plans and another $99 to provide a report/quote. He also mentioned a similar job down the road costs $4000 to fix.

I find it odd that I have to pay for a quote. Has anyone had a tradie ask you to pay for a quote before? Is this typical of jobs of this size?

No, especially if the tradie comes from the PM. He should be getting enough work from them to do this service for free. Most PM's only run with a couple of top, trusted and well priced, tradies from each sector on their books anyhow so the chance of him getting the job will be high. I can't understand why he would still want to charge.

Usually not if the work is over $500.00 the quote should be free.

If it's a handyman work and it's like $80.00 for the job, then if you do not go ahead there will be a call out charge of something like $50.00.

If the tradesperson has to spend money on searches or extra time to give a quote, it is not unreasonable to ask to be paid. If it involves underground plumbing, it is hard to see how a fixed quote could be ascertained.

However, any quote fee should be deducted from the job if you proceed.
Marg

How did he fix a broken pipe temporarily?

Then want a sewer diagram to fix it permanently.

What is the detail on his fix. It could be that the fix is something like the earthenware pipe from house to first underground pipe was cracked and he replaced with plastic pipe and quicks connector.

http://www.fernco.com.au/products/en/category/Flexseal-Couplings

These connectors allow you to connect up different types of pipe work.

The permanent fix could be that they intend to dug up the whole lot and replace with plastic which could be completely unnecessary.

Unless you have root issues in the yard the earthenware pipes will be good for a long time.

Cheers

Thanks every one for replying.

I've called another plumber and they too are asking for a fee to produce the quote. There reason is that they must visit the site first. So it is like a call out fee. He too required the council sewer drainage plans.

How did he fix a broken pipe temporarily?

Hi Handyandy,

This is basically what was stated in the invoice.

Removed an excessive amount of tree roots from the main sewer drain at various intervals
between the laundry DT & the council invert.
15 metres of cable were put down the drain through the laundry DT.
25 metres of cable were put down the drain through the Inspection Opening in the backyard
to check for all possible blockages.
2 1/4hrs labour
Tree roots will grow back causing further problems within six to eighteen months. For a
permanent repair, it is recommended that the defective pipe work be replaced.

I also recall that the previous tenant complained the laundry sink was blocked for the same reason. I was told this just after it went unconditional.

I also checked with my insurer if that was covered an unfortunately it was not. Darn! :(

Back