cost of demolishing a house?

hi all,

a rather good opportunity has come my way in terms of ppulling down an old house and putting 2 up. but first, roughly how much is it to demolish an old house?

I realise this may be a length of string type of question but i am just after rough ballpark figures. the house in question is partial brick, partial fibro, most likely asbestos. 3-4 bedroom (counting sleepout).

I want the total thing gone. demolished. any ideas for a rough costing.

Alternatively, is there much of a market in old bricks, old roofing tin etc?

thanks

g

I had a price to demolish a double garage in fibro. It was $3-4,000. Less than I thought it would be.
You might end up getting someone to remove the fibro and then get regular demo guys to do the rest.
Yes, there is a market in second hand bricks etc, but sometimes it's best to get a site cleared as quickly as possible rather than have piles of second hand stuff hanging around that you're trying to flog.

hi all,

a rather good opportunity has come my way in terms of ppulling down an old house and putting 2 up. but first, roughly how much is it to demolish an old house?

I realise this may be a length of string type of question but i am just after rough ballpark figures. the house in question is partial brick, partial fibro, most likely asbestos. 3-4 bedroom (counting sleepout).

I want the total thing gone. demolished. any ideas for a rough costing.

Alternatively, is there much of a market in old bricks, old roofing tin etc?

thanks

g

There is a good market for old bricks. A bloke here in Perth became a MM buy collecting and cleaning them up then selling.
Usually if you contact a demo company they get rid of all the materials through their own contacts.
I would be interested in what it is going to cost so do keep us posted.
cheers
yadreamin

I've just had a quote to knock down and completely remove a similar house in the Mornington Peninsula, Victoria.

All up it came to $11k. That includes the building application to council as well.

My house is a 3 bed, half brick, half fibro (asbestos) place.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rooster

I had a quote about a year ago to demolish a 6m x 9m building that has asbestos roof, weather board, 1/2 concrete slab, other half piered- quote was $10,000.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not going ahead wiht this now as someone has beat me to it. I did put an offer on the old house but someone else also did on the same day (so the agent says). I was invited to increase my offer but declined.

I hate dealing with agents as i just nnever know if another person really did put another offer on the place - or if the agent just says that in trying to get me to increase the offer.

FWIW I usually walk away when i hear that line. If the other offer is genuiene then so be it, if it isn't then the agent will get back to me with some story saying that the other offer feel through and ask if i want to reconsider my offer.

I'm just a cynical sod.

Thanks

g

Never mind- there always another great property, probably next week.

You've learnt something new.

Just file your new found info on demolition into your PI memory bank for when you need it to make a quick asessment next time.:)

Hi Bespoke,

Yeah i will. This would've been my first total knockdown and subdivide. But as you say, many others may pop up in the near future.

This one was unique in many ways though and that's what got me interested in it. Oh well.

Back to trawling the web now to find another......

BTW how is that new development coming along that is opposite Fern Bay? Any indicative costings yet?

thanks

g

Nope, nothing looks to be happening. I think the time for tenders has passed. Interestingly, the new retirement home development there has shut their gates- maybe it was part of that. I did hear on the grapevine that the development was in trouble.

Maybe they had trouble in securing finance for it due to current times....

Not that i would've bought there anyway but always curious in pricings and what is happening in that area.

Stockton is still my favourite though but rising sea levels gives me hesitation on that ideal little secret. I still think it is one of the best little towns on the coast.

thanks

g