Cost of Running Services to new Building Site,

Advice required –

I am planning to build a PPOR in Melbourne outer East, I have a large block with a “Battle axe” entry and I need to run services to the proposed site, ie: Gas, Water, Electricity and Phone, no sewer.

The distance that I need to run these services is around 100 metres.

What would be the cost of running these services? Just looking for a ball park figure as the builders I have spoken to tend to scratch their heads and say that to run services 100 meters will be expensive, but never give a figure. Expensive meaning $1K, $2K, $5K, $20K??

The site is relatively flat and the soil is soft and easy to dig trenches.

Any plumbers or sparkies out there that can guide me with some indicative figures?

Wombat

wombat said:
I am planning to build a PPOR in Melbourne outer East, I have a large block with a “Battle axe” entry and I need to run services to the proposed site, ie: Gas, Water, Electricity and Phone, no sewer.

The distance that I need to run these services is around 100 metres.

What would be the cost of running these services? Just looking for a ball park figure as the builders I have spoken to tend to scratch their heads and say that to run services 100 meters will be expensive, but never give a figure. Expensive meaning $1K, $2K, $5K, $20K??
I've looked into it recently for a similar exercise.

The trench sounds like $1K to dig it - assuming easy access.
Conduit for power is about $10 a meter, elec cable roughly the same.
The phone line should/may be free.
Not sure how much Poly water pipe costs.
Make sure you don't fill in the trench until all services are in it!
A bit of gravel & filling it in would be about $500.

So $5K all up ?

KJ

Also look at making allowances for other possible services while you're digging the hole, even if you don't connect yet- broadband, cable, or the like. It will be a lot cheaper to do it now.

Running the gas may be more expensive due to the use of copper pipe. You could be up for several thousand to run the gas line. Could be cheaper using several large LPG bottles (this is commonly done in rural areas. You would need your appliances adapted to burn LPG.).

Overhead power may be required (see council regulations). This would involve a power pole. (I am assuming you wouldn't need a transformer)

NOTE: I am not a plumber or sparky but have done some investigation into rural properties where they have similar requirements for power.

Thanks so far guys, I will be contacting Plumbers and Sparkies to get some indicative pricing during the next couple of days, and will post my findings here.

WillG - Location is outer suburban, so power will be underground, the gas line also close to the boundary.

KeithJ - thanks, this is what I was looking for as a guide.

GeoffW - do you reckon I should keep the trench open for my Mother in Law? :D

wombat said:
GeoffW - do you reckon I should keep the trench open for my Mother in Law? :D
Now there's a good idea!

I once bought a lovely armchair for my mother in law. My wife wouldn't let me plug it in.

Back