Cost of tiles per sqm?

Hi guys,

How much does it cost for the most basic of bathroom floor and wall tiles?

Looking to buy from a warehouse/demoliton yard/ebay for the cheapest - but don't know what is good value?

Seen wall tiles as low as $8/m, and basic floor tiles around $10/m - but beware you get what you pay for!

Also if you get crappy tiles and you engage a tiler to do the work, they may charge you more to lay because of uneven size, thickness etc!

Pinkboy

Ok thanks Pinkboy.

So I will aim for $4-5 p/sqm :)

I plan to do the tiling myself as it doesn't look too hard right?

Just get the stuff that sticks to the wall and put the tiles on top...?

I don't think you can use the term good value and then quote $4 or $5

Let's face it you need to consider the how much you are tiling

If your tiling 10sm then each extra $1 is only ten bucks ... No big deal..

If you are doing 100sm then yes it can add up..

Really any bottom line for a reasonable tile is probably $10-$12 less than that

will probably cost you more in breakages, bad tiles and poor end result..

Anyway that's my 2 cents...

depends...cheap tiles do tend to look really cheap which may defeat the purpose but we've often bought polished porcelein (tilers do charge a bit more to lay sometimes) for about $16/m2

basic bathroom wall you can get for under $10 but again, thats real basic. A few dollars more and you could really transform the bathroom ;)

I should clarify - anything I buy I want good (but not great) quality that is durable and will not break.

That is for every type of materials bought for a reno.

Then I want to find the cheapest price from various sources (preferably a liquidation sale) and buy all I can.

i.e. dishwashers cost 350 for the cheapest but I am spending 600 on a Bosch as it will last longer.

Any breaks/repairs will cost me in the long term so don't want to skimp.

Just looking for the best deal! :)

Just get some cheap white tiles for $10 per sqm...for an IP in the Western Suburbs the quality of floor coverings is unimportant. Even if it chips, who cares?

Lol they still expect average standards. But I take your point. Still want good quality (not for the tenants sake) but to keep my repairs bill low.

To put it in context JWR, I am currently looking at the interiors for my own properties. I will probably end up putting in porcelain tiles costing $100 per sqm. These tiles are good quality - but they do not keep the repair bills low by any means. If you drop a knife on them you'd scratch the colour and have to replace it (with another expensive tile).

To put it in context JWR, I am currently looking at the interiors for my own properties. I will probably end up putting in porcelain tiles costing $100 per sqm. These tiles are good quality - but they do not keep the repair bills low by any means. If you drop a knife on them you'd scratch the colour and have to replace it (with another expensive tile).

I have polished marble floors throughout my whole house - needless to say that we are all very careful in the house not to drop/scratch/scrape anything. Sounds anal, but it looks great!

Pinkboy

$15 - $20m2 should get you a reasonable tile that is fair to good quality and you can get sealed (it stains and scratches) porcelain BUT I would stick to ceramic for a rental or IP

a good glue is as important as the tile and bunnings and beamonts have "MPP" both of witch are made by Ardex

CHEAP is generally false economy but there is nothing wrong with A BARGAIN though

"""""""get one batch only """""""

ive seen 5mm variation between 2 consecutive batches in an expensive 450mm x 4500mm tile before

good luck eden

Back