Cost to build a cheap(est) house?

Just a hypothetical approach that Im not going to go down, but might do something shortly.

there is a block of land for sale with permits, for $120k, lets assume 300-350sqm

What will be the total cost to build say a budget townhouse or unit on there?

ive seen brand new land + house packages in those estates for about $130k+ land, but some one told me that the $130k will always end up much higher,

so I was wondering if I went on a budget how much would it end up being?

Just a hypothetical approach that Im not going to go down, but might do something shortly.

there is a block of land for sale with permits, for $120k, lets assume 300-350sqm

What will be the total cost to build say a budget townhouse or unit on there?

ive seen brand new land + house packages in those estates for about $130k+ land, but some one told me that the $130k will always end up much higher,

so I was wondering if I went on a budget how much would it end up being?

If you did everything on the cheap it might come to 150-160k at best.

The base price which is what the 130k would be, usually dont include most of the following- flooring, light fittings, curtains, landscaping, air con, paving and driveway, stormwater, rainwater tank, anything over 8ft ceilings, bir's with shelving, electric garage plus many more.
Also everything that is included e.g. tiling to wet areas, kitchens, bathrooms etc are all absolute basic and if you want to upgrade of course you have to pay!

I agree for that price, the finish would be stock standard. Slab and site costs would be on top of that. As others pointed out in the posts above you would be looking at finishing the place for items not included in the contract.

Also you would be looking at custom builders as project builders don't build townhouses and I have heard one does duplex's.

in a nutshell, the base price may be 130k but to have a house complete ready for sale, I would be looking at 200k at a minimum imho.

much appreciated everyone,

the reason for my question was that if I found a plot of land or a property that needed to be torn down and subdivided, then I would be putting in the basicest house possible, (within reason) and to potentially onsell or rent out to the market, and since it won't be PPOR, I believe that it needs to be basic and have no extras which usually don't increase the rental!

Im looking to build a 4 bedder on the back of my property
Rough calculations

4 bed double garage 108,000
Site costs 35,000
internal fittings 8,000
External finishes 10,000

Council fees 25,000
Town planner 6,000

etc etc etc

As you can see things add up very quickly.

Im looking to build a 4 bedder on the back of my property
Rough calculations

4 bed double garage 108,000
Site costs 35,000
internal fittings 8,000
External finishes 10,000

Council fees 25,000
Town planner 6,000

etc etc etc

As you can see things add up very quickly.

wow thats $200k already, i would have thought that the ads ive seen for land + house packages at $140k just for the house, would be basic, but liveable for a family with kids...

If you did everything on the cheap it might come to 150-160k at best.

The base price which is what the 130k would be, usually dont include most of the following- flooring, light fittings, curtains, landscaping, air con, paving and driveway, stormwater, rainwater tank, anything over 8ft ceilings, bir's with shelving, electric garage plus many more.
Also everything that is included e.g. tiling to wet areas, kitchens, bathrooms etc are all absolute basic and if you want to upgrade of course you have to pay!

just bringing up an old thread again, Im looking at subdividing in a suburb whose median price is about $350k so its entry level, whose tenants are not the best,

so I was thinking about subdividng, put 2 brand new townhouses/units, but just put the absolute basic of everything, and I mean the BASICest, and saw those home and land packages at $140k+ land or so, and was wondering if I could get away at this price in any way?

I understand that regardless of the quality of the tenant, everybody will basically need light fittings of some sort. say a drive way etc, however, I would consider things like an aircon a luxury taking in to consideration that it may be damaged or not looked after...

hallmark homes in SEQ recently had a promotion on their "Flair" series...the advertised build price was from $524m2 :eek:

yes kids, that means their 27.8sq (258.5m2) home was only $135,500 to build.

wish i had the cash to play...:(

We are building our first (as a PPOR) now and it will land on the block for just over $140k, including floorings (wood and carpet), site costs, storm water, drive, electric garage and a fair bit more, it is a small 3/2/2. Just need landscaping and curtains ... unless I'm missing something.

Pretty lucky as our site costs came in at just under $2k and might be reduced as there are double handling and scaffolding fees that might not be used as no fences are up yet.

Have a look a some of the kit home suppliers as some of their basic homes are rather cheap. combine that with your do-it-yourself ability then you may save a fair bit.

I know of a guy who is making a decent living in a large regional centre by buying 1 acre blocks and sub-dividing them and putting kit homes on them by himself.

Thanks

g

Have a look a some of the kit home suppliers as some of their basic homes are rather cheap. combine that with your do-it-yourself ability then you may save a fair bit.

I know of a guy who is making a decent living in a large regional centre by buying 1 acre blocks and sub-dividing them and putting kit homes on them by himself.

Thanks

g

whats a kit home? is this a temporary building or a permanent one?

a kit home is a permanent building - a permanent home.

Basically you buy the home in kit form, it is trucked to you and you put it together - just like a big meccano set. You have to supply the concrete slab to their specs but dont worry, they provide all the plans, all the instructions, the tools and all the "parts" of the home and some companies even assist with council approval for you. Some kit homes are designed so that two people can put them altogether. The idea is that two people put them together to lock up stage and then the owner project manages the electrical and plumbing work.

One is example is paal homes in the Penrith/Windsor area. Their website is www.paal.com.au. I know from experience that many councils easily agree to kit homes and have no problems with them in residential areas.

You'll need to have an owner builder license to put them together though but these are easy to obtain from your local TAFE.

Kit homes are good and have the advantage of providing an affordable alternative for the owner builder.

Kit home technology has come a long way in the last 10 or so years and there is quite a growing industry for them - especially in the rural acrage areas. Many people buy their block of land, stick a 20k shed on it, live in that while they are building their kit home. then they move into their home and convert their shed into a guest house. Having said that, you'll also find many kithomes in regional towns too.

Do a google for "kit home australia" and you'll see an amazing industry. The company i mention above is very good and i have seen their finsihed products and they are very good quality.

I repeat - these are permanent homes and not mobile homes.

Thanks

g

We have just had a quote for a 4x2x2 build 180m2 for $184,000 complete but does not include any fencing or landscaping. This is on an H type soil.

Soil types can affect the foundation costs substantially so that soil test is very important.

Back