Cost to Build in Rural Areas

I am familiar with the cost of building in metro areas (Melbourne specifically). But am looking at building on vacant land in rural areas (around Bonnie Doon - ~160kms out of Melbourne). The property would be pretty standard, so nothing too out of the ordinary.

What I am not familiar with, is the premium, if there is one, to build in more isolated areas, considering factors such as transportation of materials, higher specs (ie fire protection), fewer choice amongst builders ie less competition (?)

Has anyone had experiences in doing this?

Can't help you with the loading on metro build rates, however maybe ring around a few builders say in Seymour or even Wangaratta.

How's the serenity there by the way? :p

**EDIT**
This is a very rough guide for metro builds and the variation from city to city:

http://www.bmtqs.com.au/ConstructionCostTable.aspx

Maybe give BMT Quantity Surveyors a call and ask for a ballpark loading
to the area you are looking to construct.

Last edited:
Player - thanks for the link.

What are the thoughts on project builders in regional areas - are they an option to consider?

thanks player

whats the differnece between

brick veneer project home, level block, single level, shelf design
vs
full brick project home, level block, single level, shelf design

also, for the developers out there, im getting the vibe that if you have to build two storeys then the costs go up, for obvious reasons and its better to move on to a single story projects as since there is no value add for two storey vs single story, and the buyer isnt going to pay extra for being two storey

obviously it wouldnt matter if the figures stacked up or you got a bargain for the land etc. etc. etc.

in the areas im looking at, land is fairly cheap, so I dont see the benefit of doing a project that can only fit two storey dwellings vs single stories as in fact it will probably detract in price due to land being fairly avaialble

Back