Cost to rebuild leaning brick wall

Hi,

I am considering hiring a tradesperson to rebuild a brickwall. The wall has developed a lean as a result of proximity to tree roots. The wall itself is 3.3m x 1.6m. (Photo attached).

I'm not sure as to whether I should seek quotes from a brick layer or landscaper or someone else. Who would be best placed to rebuild a brick wall? Also, how much should I expect to pay?

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Taylor

Attachments

• Brickwall..jpg
    Brickwall..jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 236
Lets see now. If you go to a builder he will charge more than if you go directly to a bricklayer as the builder will want to take a cut.

I'd get 3 quotes from bricklayers.

Also many things to consider:

1. demolition of leaning wall

2. is there a concrete footing? whats its condition? size?

3. that tree has to go otherwise you will have the same problem in the near future

4. at present as a general rule you can say it costs $1 for a brick and $1 to lay it.

5. there are 50 bricks per sq metre (100 for double skin wall)

6. Your photo shows a single skin wall with a 2 header courses and a few courses of double brick along the bottom and with engaged piers.

7. your measurement of 3.3m x 1.6 equals 5.28 sq metres. 5.28 x 50 equals 264 bricks BUT I would double that to say 500 bricks to cover the double courses, headers and piers plus wastage. Alternately you could just count the bricks in the wall yourself and add on 10% for wastage.

8. On a small job bricklayer may charge a day rate of $440. You could say its 3 days work with demolition, setup and laying of bricks, cleaning the brickwork and cleaning the site

9. I would therefore allow $1320 for the labour and $500 for the bricks making a total of $1820. (Negotiate for the brickie to pay for sand lime cement etc.)

10. Now this quote assumes an easy access site and does not include tree removal or any concrete footing work.

11. As an alternative to all this work you may consider just bracing the wall with steel to prevent it leaning further.

Hi Datto,

Thank you very much for the quick, knowledgeable reply. I will seek quotes from several bricklayers now knowing what to expect and which questions to ask.

Many thanks,

Cheers,

Taylor

Back