Cost to replace a power meter box?

Just had a quote from the sparky to replace the electrical box:

Works proposed
Remove old meter panel and switchboard.
Install new metal enclosure to house meters and switchboard.
Install new earth.
Make good of all cabling.
Install 2 x safety switch and circuit breakers as required.
Application to Powercor.
Included is Powercor Truck fee $470.00.
Inspectors fees and Certificate.
Please note several weatherboards may need adjustment
or fixing by handyman due to new proposed box being smaller.

Quote, inc GST: $1,984.00 :eek:

And that doesn't include making good the weatherboards. This seems WAY high to me. Should I get another quote, or is this within coo-ee? And what do we need a PowerCor truck for?

This is the sparky that the PM uses almost exclusively.

changing the box, requires disconnecting the supply side, , sparkies can't,

Power Co, has to be there to break/make the connection,
if they don't approve it, no connection to supply
so getting them onsite, with all required inspectors, in advance, is a good thing

In my mind I see multiple access fees, application fees, ,
on top of the actual work, which requires circuit testing and possible repairs to user additions to the wiring, that Make good all cabling is a horrible catchall for everything

It was reported by the tenant on the incoming condition report that the meter box was "loose on the wall".

The sparky went there for another job, and we got him to have a look.

- safety switch was "dangerous" (was only installed 2008!)
- enclosure is rotten
- apparently loose wires?

Sparky was concerned that with smart meters coming around, that the place might be disconnected and deemed unsafe. Seems odd when we only have that work done relatively recently.

What do you mean "that Make good all cabling is a horrible catchall for everything "

He's quoting to do it, you think he's inflating it?

Some sparkies these days have an additional licence (called a level 2 licence) that allows them to do the D&R (disconnect/reconnect) at the meter box, poles, overhead mains etc on the authority side.

http://secgroup.com.au/sydney-elect...d-skilled-level-2-service-provider-in-sydney/

If a sparkie doesnt have a level 2 cert, he pays another sparkie (or the supply authority itself) with one to come out and do his part of the work and will add that fee to the quote. On yours its the

Application to Powercor.

What 'make good all cabling' means is the old cabling that fitted the old meter box may not fit the new meter box so the sparkie will make good all cabling to make it fit the new box and circuit breakers.

As far as the price, looks ok to me considering he has to pay out $470. Get some other quotes.

changing the box, requires disconnecting the supply side, , sparkies can't,

Power Co, has to be there to break/make the connection,
if they don't approve it, no connection to supply
so getting them onsite, with all required inspectors, in advance, is a good thing

In my mind I see multiple access fees, application fees, ,
on top of the actual work, which requires circuit testing and possible repairs to user additions to the wiring, that Make good all cabling is a horrible catchall for everything

Just had a quote from the sparky to replace the electrical box:

Works proposed
Remove old meter panel and switchboard.
Install new metal enclosure to house meters and switchboard.
Install new earth.
Make good of all cabling.
Install 2 x safety switch and circuit breakers as required.
Application to Powercor.
Inspectors fees and Certificate.
Please note several weatherboards may need adjustment
or fixing by handyman due to new proposed box being smaller.

Quote, inc GST: $1,984.00 :eek:

And that doesn't include making good the weatherboards. This seems WAY high to me. Should I get another quote, or is this within coo-ee? And what do we need a PowerCor truck for?

This is the sparky that the PM uses almost exclusively.
I had the same done on resi rental property 7 weeks ago the back of the board was chip board and let go from the sub frame,i think the board was just under $250,but there was no truck fee,the sole trader i use is lic to do work on outside high vol powerlines,the metres were sorted out by the power company,not sure it there an extra cost factor.,but they told me it was free:rolleyes:,all up with repalcement on 2 new maybe 18mts cable and fitoffs 1200 dollars,and that was with one new smoke mode wired in the kitchen
i was very happy to pay that,and get a receipt..

I paid $2500 which included the safety switchboard, installation, etc and Inspector's fee.

I thought that was more than reasonable, as I paid over $3k for another IP.

Apparently it depends on the size of the switchboard

Chris

I think this is price is on the cheap side.

Im very surprised he put in make all wiring good in his quote.

This is normally an extra as you cant tell if a house has been wired correctly without testing. If you have circuits mixed and he is install RCD(safety switches) this could turn into a loss for the sparky.

In Victoria on distribution companies are allowed to work on meters not licensed electrician so this cost is unavoidable.

The inspection and COES is mandatory to get your meters changed and cost a couple of hundred.

He is supplying meter panel enclosure and Switchboard. and new earthing system as well.

Just realized your price is including GST. That price is a steal and id be surprised if many people could match that or want to match it.

Dave

As a sparky I would say that is a reasonable price depending on the size of the house.
Particularly make good all wiring, hell if there are any faults it can take hours to trace.

make good all wiring & horrible catchall

I meant horrible, for the sparky, not for the client.
the longest 'make good' I've had is three days.

Back